14

Manuel woke up groggily, his head pounding from the night before. It felt like there was something soft and warm pressed against his side. Napaka-lambot. He stretched, yawning, then turned his head to investigate.

His heart practically leaped out of his chest.

There, sprawled beside him in his bed, was Baltazar. His eyes were already open, a lazy grin tugging at his lips as he stared at Manuel with those piercing blue eyes. Manuel’s breath caught in his throat.

What the hell? Anong ginagawa ni Baltazar dito?

Manuel’s mind raced to make sense of the situation. The last thing he remembered clearly was Baltazar flirting with some girl at John’s party. His chest tightened as flashes of last night came rushing back—the alcohol, the crowd, that overwhelming feeling of jealousy seeing Baltazar with someone else. Then... the kiss.

Oh God, he kissed Baltazar.

His face turned beet red as he scrambled out of the bed, his thoughts a chaotic mess. "What are you doing in my bed, Baltazar?" His voice came out shaky, betraying his panic.

Baltazar stretched lazily, the muscles in his arms and back rippling as he yawned. "You let me in, remember? Invited me, actually." His tone was teasing, as if this were all just a joke.

Manuel gawked at him, his pulse quickening. "Bullshit! I would never let you sleep here. Manyak ka talaga." But the words felt hollow, his mind betraying him with memories of last night. He had been drunk, sure, but he hadn’t expected things to escalate like this.

Baltazar chuckled, clearly amused. "Nagpaalam ako, but you were out cold. You can ask your Kuya Drakon or your mom. They said it was fine."

Manuel's brain struggled to process everything, his pulse racing. His eyes darted over to Baltazar, who had rolled out of bed, his shirt riding up just slightly, revealing a hint of toned abs. For some reason, that made Manuel feel even more flustered.

“Alis ka na!” Manuel growled, hoping to regain some control of the situation, but it felt more like he was pleading.

Baltazar smirked and stood up, but not before throwing a playful glance back at Manuel. "Can I at least use your bathroom? Or gusto mong sabay tayo?"

"Tangina mo Baltazar," Manuel grumbled, burying his face in his hands. He was mortified, and his pounding headache wasn’t helping. “Make it quick. Umalis ka na pagkatapos.”

Baltazar just winked and headed into the bathroom, leaving Manuel to stew in his thoughts. His brain was in overdrive, trying to piece together how things had spiraled so fast. He was supposed to be the level-headed one, the guy who had it all together. But last night... last night, something had shifted.

I kissed him. I kissed a guy. And not just any guy—Baltazar, of all people. Manuel’s head felt like it was going to explode, a mix of shame, confusion, and... something else. Something he didn’t want to name just yet.

When Baltazar emerged from the bathroom, his hair wet and disheveled but looking even more annoyingly handsome, Manuel felt his throat tighten. Why did this guy have to look so good doing literally anything?

"Manuel," Baltazar said, his voice suddenly serious, "about last night..."

Manuel braced himself, ready for Baltazar to make some snarky comment or tease him about the kiss. But Baltazar’s expression wasn’t mocking—it was something else, something softer.

"You kissed me," Baltazar said, his eyes locking onto Manuel’s. "And it wasn’t just because you were drunk."

Manuel swallowed hard. "I was drunk. You took advantage of that."

"Don’t give me that crap," Baltazar shot back, stepping closer, his tone low and intense. "You were jealous. You saw me with that girl, and something snapped. Tell me I’m wrong."

Manuel opened his mouth to argue but found himself at a loss for words. Naalala niya yung pakiramdam ng selos. The way his chest had tightened when he saw that girl laughing at something Baltazar said, the irrational urge to punch something when she had gotten too close.

“I don’t know, man,” Manuel muttered, rubbing his temples. “Basta. I hated seeing you with her. But it’s not what you think. I’m not like... that.”

Baltazar’s gaze softened, but his voice remained firm. "Manuel, it’s okay. You don’t have to explain yourself. Pero alam mo bang gago ka din?" He grinned, leaning in just close enough that Manuel could feel his breath against his skin. “You’ve been blind to this for so long. I’ve been waiting.”

"Waiting for what?" Manuel asked, his voice barely a whisper. His heart pounded in his chest, louder than before.

"Waiting for you to stop running away from whatever this is," Baltazar replied, his hand coming up to brush lightly against Manuel’s cheek. "I’ve been trying to get your attention, pero manhid ka.”

Manuel’s breath hitched at the contact. He tried to pull away, but something in Baltazar’s touch kept him rooted in place. “Hindi ko... Hindi ko alam kung paano ito. I mean, straight ako, pre. Pero bakit ganito?”

Baltazar chuckled softly. "You’re making this more complicated than it needs to be. You like me, I like you. Simple lang yan."

“Simple? Potangina, anong simple doon?!” Manuel’s voice cracked, his frustration bubbling over. “Ang daming tanong sa utak ko. This doesn’t make sense!”

Baltazar’s eyes softened. "Things don’t always have to make sense. You feel what you feel. Just... let yourself feel it."

Before Manuel could respond, Baltazar leaned in again, his lips brushing lightly against Manuel’s in a kiss that sent shockwaves through his body. This time, Manuel didn’t pull away. He didn’t run. He just... let himself feel it.

Their moment was abruptly cut short by the creak of the door. “Ah... jusmiyo! Nagromansahan pala kayo dito!” Manuel’s mom barged in, a knowing smile spreading across her face.

Manuel jumped back, his face burning with embarrassment. “Ma! It’s not—”

“Sus, don’t lie to me, Ting-ting! Kita ko naman.” She winked at Baltazar. “Baltazar, ikaw ba yung nasa tablet nito? Akala mo hindi ko nakita. Ikaw yon eh.”

Baltazar, ever the charmer, grinned. “Guilty as charged po.”

His mom laughed. “Well, okay! Get dressed, mga binata. Breakfast is ready. Don’t take too long, ha? Ay, may sarili na pala kayong breakfast.” She left, still laughing to herself.

Manuel groaned, burying his face in his hands. “Tangina, Baltazar, nakakahiya na.”

Baltazar just laughed softly and pulled Manuel into a quick hug. “Don’t worry. Your mom likes me.”

Oo gustong-gusto. Bias ka pa nga e.

Manuel wanted to argue, but Baltazar’s warmth made him feel safe, like maybe—just maybe—things weren’t as messed up as they seemed.