29

Manuel slumped onto his bed, replaying the events of the day over and over in his mind. Tangina, he thought, as his fists clenched. He felt the familiar sting of anger rising inside him. “Sinapak ko siya, Kuya. Nakakainis!” His voice was animated, even though his brother, Drakon, was only on the other end of the call.

“Tapos biglang hahalikan ako? Ano yun, consolation prize kasi nahuli ko siyang nilalandi yung matanda? Punyeta. Buti na lang napatigil ko sarili ko, pero ayun... sapak agad! Dumugo nga yung labi niya, Kuya.”

Drakon chuckled from the other side, but his voice carried an undertone of concern. "Ang tindi mo naman, Ting-Ting. Hindi ba medyo sobra 'yon?" Drakon tried to keep it light, but there was something in his voice—something Manuel didn’t want to deal with right now.

Manuel groaned, rolling his eyes. "Sobra? Kuya, halikan ba naman ako ng gago! That's harassment. Saka, don't forget na iniwan niya ako dahil sa video leak. He didn’t stand by me. Inako ko lahat ng kahihiyan para sa kanya, tapos ganito lang?And now he thinks he can just come back and act like nothing happened? Putangina, hindi siya predator Kuya, pero gago siya, iyon ang sigurado!"

He heard Drakon’s milktea cup being placed down on the table, a familiar sound that usually meant the conversation was about to get serious. “Tara, sa World of Fun tayo.” Drakon’s voice was light again, offering an escape. Manuel sighed, World of Fun. Haven't been there since he was in grade school. The idea of throwing basketballs into hoops and winning stuffed animals seemed like exactly the kind of distraction he needed. Maybe it could help him shake off the frustration from the encounter with Baltazar.

Minutes later, Manuel found himself in Drakon’s car, the familiar scent of leather and his brother’s cologne calming him. But as soon as he opened the door to sit, something else caught his attention. Putangina, he thought, eyeing the pile of condoms sitting in the side compartment. “Kuya, grabe naman 'to. Bakit daming condom dito? Hindi ka man lang naglilinis?” Manuel shot Drakon a disbelieving look, half-amused, half-disgusted.

Drakon laughed, keeping his eyes on the road. “Ano ba, Ting-Ting. Ginawa lang naming balloon yan last night, 'di naman yan gamit. Chill ka lang, safe tayo! Hahaha!” He winked, but Manuel could only shake his head. Kingina talaga tong Kuya ko, he thought.

The familiar sights and sounds of the amusement park greeted them as they walked through the gates. Children laughed, the bright colors of the rides gleamed in the afternoon sun, and the intoxicating scent of sugary cotton candy filled the air. For a moment, Manuel felt lighter, a kid again, before the weight of his emotions came rushing back.

They lined up for the roller coaster, Manuel bouncing on the balls of his feet with nervous excitement. “Kuya, last time na nandito ako, fourth grade pa lang ako!” He grinned at Drakon. “Tapos field trip pa yon. Ngayon, parang na-excite ulit ako!”

The ride was wild—thrilling. Manuel screamed as they plummeted down steep drops, but somewhere between the twists and turns, his mind drifted back to Baltazar. Ano bang gusto ng gago na yon? Even in moments like these, Baltazar haunted him.

When they finally got off, his knees were weak, and his body buzzed with leftover adrenaline. But it wasn’t enough to shake the feeling in his chest. The knot was still there.

“Kuya, basketball muna tayo sa perya!” Manuel suggested, eyeing the prize wall. Drakon smirked, knowing how competitive his younger brother could get.

As Manuel sunk a ball into the hoop, the satisfying swish sound was drowned out by his own internal monologue. Bakit ako pa? Bakit ako iniwan mo, Baltazar? Tapos ngayon babalik ka na parang wala lang? He threw another ball, missing this time, his frustration mounting again.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed. Manuel fished it out, his stomach flipping when he saw the message from an unknown number. Mrs. Lopez. Baltazar’s mom.

Manuel, can we talk? The message said.

Ano naman kaya ‘to? Manuel ignored it at first, but when he turned around after winning another stuffed bear, he saw her. Standing near the park’s entrance, Mrs. Lopez, with that same gentle face he remembered, but now lined with worry. Fuck. Manuel muttered under his breath. He had no choice but to walk over.

"Mrs. Lopez," he greeted, his voice clipped, careful to keep the conversation polite but distant.

“Manuel,” her voice was soft, almost trembling, “I need to talk to you. It's about Baltazar."

Manuel’s jaw tightened. Of course. It’s always about him. “What about him?” he replied, his eyes narrowing, already preparing himself for some excuse or defense of Baltazar’s actions.

“He’s not doing well. He’s been trying to move on, but... he still cares for you.” Mrs. Lopez’s voice wavered, and Manuel hated the way it made his chest tighten.

“Cares for me?” he scoffed. “If he cared for me, he wouldn’t have left me out in the cold when that video leaked. He wouldn’t have let me face that alone. So no, I don’t want to hear it.” His voice was cold, and for a moment, he thought he saw something break in Mrs. Lopez’s expression.

“Manuel, please,” she pleaded, her voice breaking now, “My son... he’s hurting. He tried to—”

But before she could finish, Manuel turned on his heel, walking away. He didn’t want to hear it. Didn’t want to think about it. The hurt, the betrayal, the confusion—it was all too much. He strode back to where Drakon was waiting, his heart pounding, his chest tight.

“Let’s go. I’m done.”

But as they started walking, Mrs. Lopez’s voice pierced through the noise of the park, sobbing now. “Manuel! He tried to kill himself! He’s in the hospital right now. Please... please...”

Manuel froze, the blood draining from his face. What the fuck did she just say?

His mind raced, the world around him spinning. Baltazar tried to kill himself? The thought hit him like a punch to the gut, leaving him breathless.

His legs moved on autopilot, barely registering Drakon’s concerned look. “Tara na, Kuya. Punta tayo sa hospital.”

Baltazar might not have any courage left, but Manuel wasn't going to let him slip away that easily. Tangina mo, Baltazar. Don’t you dare die on me now.