3

Heading home from school, a jeepney ride was all it took. After catching up with the group—and an awkward moment with Baltazar—I decided it was time to head back. Something comes at me as I watched the city fly by through the jeep’s window. Kuya Drakon hadn’t shown up for the STEMazing contest earlier, and the sting of disappointment lingered. He promised he would come.

When I pushed open the door to our modest house, Kuya Drakon was there, standing by the entryway, still in his half-unbuttoned work polo, a paper bag dangling from his hand.

“Kuya!” I exclaimed, half-surprised, half-annoyed, and maybe still sulking.

With a sheepish grin, he held out the paper bag. “Sorry, bunso. My boss made us work overtime,” he said, waving the bag slightly. “But I didn’t forget you. Ting-ting, buksan mo na.”

That nickname, Ting-ting, was a relic from my younger days, and only my parents and Kuya ever used it now. It still tugged at a sentimental part of me, even when I didn’t want to admit it. Still, I shot him a look that screamed for answers. Is this peace offering or a prize? Maybe I could bargain for both.

He caught my unspoken question, his teasing smile widening. “Regalo, of course. Win or lose, you’ve got something from me. You gave it your best shot, right?”

I carefully peeled open the bag, and there it was—a shiny new Xiaomi phone. My breath hitched. This wasn’t some cheap trinket; it was expensive. Without hesitation, I threw my arms around Kuya. “Thank you, Kuya! You’re the best!” My voice cracked with excitement, betraying the tears I fought back.

I had been struggling with my old, laggy phone for months. It wasn’t like I could just ask for a replacement, knowing how tight things were at home. Yet here it was—something I never even expected.

“Pero Kuya, what about your college savings? Diba kaya ka nagwo-work para sa tuition mo? Di ba to bawas doon?” I said, the joy momentarily dimmed by worry.

Kuya just chuckled. “Don’t worry about that. I’ve got it covered. May sekreto ako, Ting-ting. Sekretong malupit,” he said with a wink, clearly trying to shift the mood.

Before I could probe him further, Mama’s voice floated from the kitchen. “Mga anak, kain na tayo. I made sinigang, favorite nyo 'to.”

We made our way to the small dining area. The rich aroma of the sinigang greeted us, and my stomach rumbled in response. Sinigang was always a comforting constant in our household, especially after long days like this.

As we sat down, Mama served me a generous portion of rice, her warm gaze lingering on me. “Ting-ting, pasensya ka na. Hindi ako nakapunta sa contest mo kanina. Andami kasing orders ng kakanin.” There was a slight tremble in her voice, a hint of guilt.

“Okay lang po, Ma. Naiintindihan ko naman,” I reassured her. After all, she was doing what she could for us. And really, sinigang was more than enough to ease any leftover disappointment.

“Kamusta naman? Panalo ka ba? Pero manalo o matalo, it’s okay, anak. What matters is you gave it your all. Don’t stress yourself too much,” she added, spooning some of the sour broth onto my plate.

Before I could answer, Kuya Drakon chimed in, waving his phone in the air. “Mama, bilib ka naman kay Manuel. Kita mo 'to, viral na yung post sa school’s FB page.” He angled the phone toward us.

I squinted at the screen, and there I was, grinning like an idiot, holding up my trophy. The caption proudly declared me the grand champion of the STEMazing competition’s Environmental Science category. It felt surreal seeing it like that, and a small swell of pride bloomed in my chest.

Mama scrolled through the post, and her eyes lit up when she spotted the picture right next to mine. “Sino naman ‘tong guwapong batang ‘to? Kalaban mo ba yan, Ting-ting?”

Of course, it was Baltazar, grinning confidently with his immaculate smile, perfect even in a simple contest post. I almost rolled my eyes. Leave it to Mama to focus on him.

“Oo ma, magka-category nga lang kami. Magkaklase kami,” I mumbled, my voice laced with just a tiny bit of irritation. Mabait naman siya… sometimes.

Mama wasn’t convinced. “Hay, bata ka. Para namang mabait yung batang 'yon. Maamo ang mukha,” she chuckled, dismissing my attempts to downplay Baltazar.

“Trust me, Ma. Mabait siya, pero nakakainis minsan. Lagi nalang kinocontra ang sagot ko sa recitations.” I stabbed at my sinigang for emphasis, though a slight grin tugged at my lips at the memory of our heated academic battles.

Kuya just laughed at my expense, chewing on his rice as if enjoying my little tirade. Our playful banter was cut short by the sound of the front door creaking open.

Papa had arrived, still in his tricycle driver’s uniform, his face tired but carrying the usual mischievous spark. “Magandang buhay, mga anak! Lalo na sa pinakamaganda kong misis, mula Aparri hanggang Jolo, ikaw lang,” he declared grandly, causing all of us to burst into laughter.

“Korny mo talaga, Pa,” Kuya Drakon groaned but got up to greet him.

I followed suit, greeting Papa as he walked over to his money bag—a pouch where he kept his hard-earned tricycle fares. He rummaged through it and pulled out a five-hundred-peso bill.

“Kuha ka, Manuel. Para sa’yo, premyo mo sa pagkapanalo,” he said, his voice brimming with pride. “Galing mo daw, sabi ng mga estudyante kanina habang namamasada ako.”

I grinned, accepting the bill and teasing, “Bawi ako, Pa. Gawin nating isang libo 'to.” He laughed heartily, and I tucked the money into my pocket.

Dinner continued with more of the usual lighthearted teasing, a brief escape from the weight of reality. As much as we struggled, moments like these made me realize how lucky I was. Our house may have been small, our circumstances humble, but love filled every corner.

And in that small house, with sinigang on my plate and my family around me, I knew I had everything I needed to push forward—rivalries, challenges, and all.