24

Manuel slumped into the worn-out couch of his small apartment, exhausted from the long day at the site. He stared at his phone, his thumb hovering over the app store icon. After five years of staying away from mobile games, he was about to download Mobile Legends again.

“Five years…” he muttered. He had put gaming on hold to focus on his architecture degree, sacrificing a lot for his studies. But tonight, boredom got the better of him.

As the game downloaded, he flipped over to Messenger and tried to message his old gaming buddies, John and Edcel.

"Busy kami, bro," Edcel replied. Same with John.

He sighed, slumping further into the couch. “Figures. Mga busy na rin sila.” His next instinct was to invite his older brother, Drakon, who had always been up for a game before his nursing career took over. No reply. Not even a seen.

"Busy din, narse na kasi," Manuel murmured, a hint of pride in his voice. His brother had funded his studies in Spain and graduated Magna Cum Laude, juggling work and school like it was nothing. Manuel always admired him for that.

"Fine, ako na lang mag-solo," Manuel said with a shrug. “Mahina rin naman mga epic ngayon, end season naman.”

The game launched, and as he prepared to start his first match, an invitation popped up on the screen.

A familiar avatar stared back at him—his own face. “Tangina… sino 'to? Mukha ko ‘to ah!” he exclaimed, his brows furrowing. “Who the hell is using my face?” He quickly accepted the invite, determined to confront whoever had the nerve to use his photo.

The lobby loaded, and there were just two of them. He activated his mic, anger bubbling up inside.

"Kung sino ka man, paalis na lang! Alam kong pogi ako, pero sana magpaalam ka muna bago gamitin ang mukha ko! Nakakatakot naman 'to, in-invite ako ng sarili ko!"

There was a pause on the other end before a voice, low and familiar, filled his headphones.

"How could I ask for permission when you've blocked me on all your socials?"

Manuel’s blood ran cold. He clenched his fist, nearly smashing his phone screen. "Baltazar?! Tangina mo! Kapal ng mukha mong sumagot? Crush mo pa rin ako, ha?" His voice rose, thick with anger. "Sinasabihan na kita ngayon—di na ako magpapauto sa isang kagaya mong walang emotional intelligence! Gago ka! Tarantado!" His voice boomed, his frustration evident as he furiously exited the lobby.

He fumed, his breathing ragged as he immediately pulled up Baltazar's profile. There he was, shirtless, flaunting a perfect set of abs. His ML IGN: If I Can Turn Back Time.

"Kapal ng mukha mo, Bal," Manuel growled, reporting the account for harassment. Baltazar had no right to come back into his life like this, pretending things were okay.

His phone buzzed. A new message from Baltazar appeared.

If I Can Turn Back Time:
G na, one game lang. Closure?

Manuel smirked and quickly typed a reply.

Davincipogi#123:
Sumasalo ka ba ng sapak as closure?

A minute later, another message appeared.

If I Can Turn Back Time:
Yeah. You can punch my face at the site after this. Kahit hubaran mo pa ako, di ako lalaban. Haha.

Manuel scowled, unsure why he was even responding to this idiot.

Davincipogi#123:
Isang laro lang, manyak.

Before he could change his mind, Baltazar sent another invite. Manuel accepted, determined to prove that he was better than the Angela main Baltazar played with at the con
struction site.

His email pinged. Opening it, his jaw dropped. A gift from Baltazar—Angela's rare Sanrio Hello Kitty skin.

“Pucha, ang yaman talaga ng walang bayag na 'to,” Manuel muttered, seething but secretly impressed.

He replied with a simple devil emote.  A thank-you? Definitely not. He just wanted to beat the crap out of him, in-game or otherwise.

One game turned into two. Then five. By the end of the night, they had played ten games. Manuel climbed to Legend V, while Baltazar was just one star away from Mythic.

“Mas magaling ako mag-Angela kaysa don sa blonde na tahong main mo,” Manuel sneered as Baltazar said goodnight. Manuel didn’t respond. He wasn’t about to let Baltazar think they were friends again.

---

The next morning, the sun was merciless over the construction site. Manuel wiped the sweat from his brow, pretending to focus on the blueprints in front of him, but his mind kept drifting back to last night’s games. He was conflicted—he wanted to hate Baltazar, but the games had been fun.

Ryder flopped down beside him, phone in hand, grinning. "Archi, ml tayo, tapos na ako mag-lunch. Bago phone ko, itry lang natin."

Manuel smirked. "Duo? Tara."

As they started their game, Manuel felt the familiar surge of adrenaline. But from the corner of his eye, he spotted Baltazar approaching. His jaw tightened, heart beating faster—not with excitement this time, but with a bitter, suppressed rage.

"Ryder," Baltazar said, his voice low but commanding, "can I talk to you for a minute?"

Manuel's fist clenched around his phone. “Oy, Engr. Lopez,” he snapped.

“Break time namin ‘to. Mamaya na ‘yang usapan.” Manuel said.

Ryder looked conflicted, but stood up. "Archi, saglit lang."

Manuel gritted his teeth, watching them walk away. Kingina, noong sila ni Samantha naglalaro ng ML, di naman ako nakialam. Pero ngayon, may umaaligid sa akin, umeeksena agad siya.

Ryder returned just as the game started, a nervous look on his face. “Anong sabi ng senior high mistake ko?” Manuel asked, his tone mocking.

Ryder scratched his head. "Gusto daw sumali mamaya, Archi."

Manuel froze. "Sasali? Sapakan, pwede."

"Huh? ML lang daw, Archi. I-add ko raw siya mamaya."

Manuel’s eyes widened. "Wag mo siyang i-add. Tangina, cheater 'yan, may asawa na nag-e-entertain pa ng iba."

Ryder blinked, confused. "Huh? Single si Engr. Lopez, Archi. 'Yung kuya niya ang may asawa."

Manuel stared at Ryder, the realization dawning painfully slow. “Single?” he muttered to himself.

Tangina?!