23

The scent of sweat, freshly turned soil, and machine oil permeated the construction site. Under the blazing afternoon sun, the site buzzed with activity as cranes groaned and steel beams clanged. Manuel squinted against the glare, feeling the prickling heat settle on his skin. It wasn’t just the sun irritating him, though. The itch under his collar was something else—something far more personal.

"Nag-trigger ng trauma, my ass," he muttered under his breath, watching Baltazar Lopez stroll across the site like he owned the damn place. Baltazar had a confident swagger that grated on him, especially with that smug grin plastered on his face. Every time he moved, the memory of betrayal hit Manuel like a sucker punch.

"Manuel, let's take five muna," Ryder called out from beside him, breaking the tense silence that hung over their work. Ryder was a good guy, steady, reliable, one of the few on the team that Manuel trusted. He wiped his brow with the back of his hand and nodded in response, though his mind was far from relaxed.

They settled on a makeshift bench nearby, sipping from water bottles. Ryder was chatting about some new show on Netflix, his voice a distant hum as Manuel's eyes remained glued to Baltazar. The guy was laughing with the other engineers, his hand resting casually on the table beside him. Too casual. Napaka-epal talaga ng dating.

Ryder noticed Manuel's focus. "You good, Archi? Parang ang tahimik mo ngayon," he asked, tilting his head.

Manuel tore his gaze away from Baltazar. "Ayos lang. Just thinking about the project. Too many revisions, you know how it is," he said, trying to keep his voice neutral. But even as he said it, the irritation bubbled beneath the surface.

"Baltazar’s been nagging about structural adjustments again, huh?" Ryder asked, grinning. "I mean, he’s not wrong sometimes, pero alam kong ayaw mo na sa kanya."

"Not wrong? Ryder, that guy lives to screw things up," Manuel said, his voice sharper than he intended. "Akala ko nga, tapos na 'tong issue namin after high school. Pero tingnan mo siya ngayon, pati dito gusto pang mangialam."

Nakwento kasi ni Manuel, ang nangyari sa past n'ya sa binata. Chismoso eh.

Ryder gave him a cautious look. "Seryoso ba, Archi? You still thinking about... that?"

Manuel clenched his jaw, feeling the familiar anger stir within him. "Let’s just say some people don’t change, and I don’t forget."

Before Ryder could respond, a new distraction entered the scene. Engineer Samantha, with her bright pink phone case and messy bun, walked into view, laughing as she chatted with Baltazar. Something tightened in Manuel's chest, and he couldn't shake the sight of them together. He bit down hard on his lip to stop himself from saying something rash.

"Sino ‘yan?" he asked Ryder, trying to sound disinterested.

"Ah, si Engineer Samantha, bago lang 'yan sa team ni Baltazar. Magaling daw 'yan, pero mostly Mobile Legends ang pinag-uusapan nila tuwing break. Sali ka kaya, Archi? Pampatanggal ng stress."

Manuel shook his head, his gaze hardening as he watched Baltazar laugh at something Samantha said. Great, he thought. Now he’s got another girl wrapped around his finger. Typical, sabagay wala namn sya wedding ring sa kamay, unfaithful ampota, walang pagbabago.

“Engr. Lopez! Tara, five-man tayo, global na Angela ko,” Samantha called out, her voice too cheerful for Manuel’s taste.

"Yeah, yeah, I’m in," Baltazar replied, already opening his phone. His grin was wide, too wide, and for a moment, Manuel’s mind flashed back to that same smile, the one that used to send his heart racing—now it just boiled his blood.

He wasn’t the jealous type, or at least he didn’t think he was. But there was something about seeing Baltazar with someone else, especially after everything, that made his stomach twist. May asawa na, tapos may kalaro pang iba? Manuel thought bitterly. Tanginang walang bayag.

“Archi, you’re staring again,” Ryder’s voice broke through his thoughts, light but pointed.

Manuel blinked, quickly averting his gaze. “Hindi naman. Just... making sure they’re not slacking off.”

Ryder smirked but didn’t push further. “Sure, if that’s what you want to call it.”

Manuel stood abruptly, needing to move before his irritation spilled over into something he couldn’t control. “Balik na ako sa trabaho. I’ll catch up with you later, Ryder,” he muttered, marching back towards the worksite, his hands clenched into fists at his sides.

As he walked, Manuel’s mind raced with memories he had tried to bury. High school mistake, he had told Ryder once. But really, it was more than that. It was betrayal. Manuel had loved Baltazar, trusted him. And then, just like that, Baltazar had left, blindsiding him with excuses about how things weren’t working anymore. Fall out of love? Bullshit. And now here they were, five years later, stuck working together on the same damn project, with Baltazar acting like nothing had ever happened.

Manuel couldn’t help but scoff at the absurdity of it all. Life had a cruel sense of humor, throwing them together like this.

Nasa kalagitnaan siya ng pagsusukat ng elevation plans when Ryder sidled up beside him again. "Alam mo, Archi, kung gusto mo nang peace of mind, pwede ka namang mag-move on."

Manuel snorted, shaking his head. "Move on? Hindi ba obvious na naka-move on na ako?"

Ryder raised an eyebrow. "Hindi ako psychologist, pero kahit ako nahahalata na hindi ka pa tapos diyan kay Baltazar. Kahit sinong tao dito, kita nila ‘yon.”

Manuel clenched his teeth, trying to keep his cool. “What’s your point, Ryder?”

Ryder gave him a level look, the joking tone gone from his voice. “Point ko lang, Archi, you can either keep holding onto this grudge, or you can focus on the project. Kasi kahit anong gawin mo, hindi mo mababago yung nangyari. And working with him every day like this? It's only gonna keep hurting if you let it."

Manuel stared at the blueprints in front of him, the lines blurring together as Ryder’s words sank in. He hated to admit it, but there was truth in what Ryder was saying. But how do you just let go of something like that? Manuel wondered. How do you let go when the person who hurt you keeps showing up, day after day, reminding you of everything that went wrong?

Before he could respond, the sound of Baltazar’s laughter cut through the noise of the site once more. Manuel’s jaw tightened.

“Just let go, huh?” Manuel muttered under his breath, shaking his head. Maybe someday. But not today.