Remember The Ex

I watched Alice and Luke leave the building and laughed. Luke was trying to smoothly wrap his arm around her and kept lifting it up but chickening out and dropping it. It was cute.

"Hey." a voice said. It was Ashton. Last night was bad and we hadn't spoken since.

"Hey." I replied and looked out the window again.

"Are you mad?" He asked quietly.

"I was. Not anymore really. Just hurt." I said void of any emotion.

"Hurt?" He pushed. "Hannah was hurt. She's just trying to be your friend and all you guys did yesterday was harass her." Anger flared in me.

"She doesn't want to be my friend. All those names she called me don't insinuate friendship. Slapping me won't make me your friend. Being paranoid that I'm going to steal your boyfriend does not make me a friend to you. Trying to steal my boyfriend won't make us friends. I will never ever be friends with her." I am seething now.

"Are you saying she'd cheat on me? With Harry?" Ashton is getting upset now. "She would never do that! She said that you'd say something like this."

"Oh so you believe her?! I'm your best friend or at least I thought I was but you don't even believe me anymore!" My voice was no longer at indoor level. My second grade teacher would have a fit if she heard me. Why am I thinking about her? Anyway-

"She's my girlfriend! I love her and I believe her!" Ashton yells back.

"What have I ever done to make you not trust me?" I scream. "You know what fuck you I'm out of here!"

"Where are you gonna go huh? You've got no one here!" Ashton yells. "Just stay here I'll leave!" He moves towards the door. I push past him and walk out.

"Kat wait!" I hear Ashton yell.

"Back off man she's pissed enough as is." Michael says just as I slam the door. I practically run down the stairs and out the lobby door. It swings shut behind me.

"Finally." A chilling voice says. I stiffen.

No.

Not here.

I slowly turn around and see Max standing there.

"Babe you would not believe what I did to get here. To be with you." Max smiles. I smell the pot and beer on him from here. He walks over to me and reaches for my face. I flinch. "I'm so sorry Kat. I love you and I won't ever hurt you again. And when your friend called me and told me where you were staying I just had to come see you. To tell you I love you." He sounds sincere but I've heard this before. I take a deep breath.

"I know you'd never hurt me. Not intentionally. But Max you need to go back to Tennessee." I say calmly my voice shaking at the end. His face grows hard. Another boy comes out. He's taller than Max, with black hair and tan skin.

"You were right Maxie she is a pretty one." The boy says with a sly smile. Max ignores him.

"Why so you can fuck that British douchebag? Like the slut you are?" He says coldly. "Why am I not good enough for you you dumb bitch!" He slams his fist into my stomach. I grip my abdomen and fall to my knees. He grabs my hair and yanks me to my feet. "You're mine bitch." He grabs my face and kisses me. I scream against his mouth but that only makes him more upset.

"Max get off!" I yell and push at him. He pushes me to the ground and kicks me hard in the side. His friend begins to join in. Panic runs through me.

Get up.

Get up.

Do not let them kick you.

Get up!

I push myself to my feet and start to run away from them.