Chapter Three: Hollow

It took Helen three days to reach the outskirts of Wales. She spotted a camp being set up near the base of the mountains. She slowed to a stop. She rolled down her passenger side window. "Excuse me!" she shouted to the group of people setting up camp.

Penny looked up. She sighed in relief. "Helen! You made it! Is Malcolm with you?!"

"No. I came to rescue you lot. What happened? Is everyone okay?"

The group all looked at each other quietly. "Sam gave himself up to protect us. We've been waiting for help from PontyPandy." explained Arnold.

"He did what?!" gasped Helen. "No. No. I'm going after him. Where's the lair?"

"Just follow the old dirt road. You can't miss it. Please be careful."

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Just stay safe." Helen drove off again. She got onto the dirt road. She looked for an unusual spot in the mountains. Hang in there, Sam. pleaded Helen.

Her gaze fell upon a small shriveled up structure further up the hill. She gunned the engine. She pulled up outside of the structure. She took the taser off her belt as she got out. She carefully made her way over to the door. She kicked it open. The door slammed against the frame loudly. She looked inside to see a ladder which lead further into the darkness.

She put the taser back on her belt. She climbed down the ladder. She kept her gaze on the wall. The ladder stopped at a walkway. Helen jumped down onto it. She put her hand on the taser once more. The place was much bigger underground. She was near what looked to be holding cells.

"Sam?" called Helen quietly.

She heard shuffling a few feet away from her. Helen began walking towards it all while calling out to Sam. The shuffling steadily grew louder. Helen slowly took the taser off her belt. "Sam?"

A pair of hands shot out from behind her. They yanked her sharply into a room. Helen screamed. She struggled to escape. "YOU!" bellowed a familiar voice.

Helen felt them chuck her into the wall. Helen grunted as she smacked into it. She turned around quickly. She raised her arms to protect herself. The figure pinned her to the wall. Helen struggled. She looked up to see Sam staring wildly back at her. "Sam?"

Sam growled. He raised his hand. His hand had  a shiv in it. Helen ripped an arm out from underneath of him. She grabbed the baton. She struck him full force across the face with it. Sam stumbled backwards. Helen panted staring at him. "Sam...what did she do to you? I'm not your enemy."

Sam snarled. He went for her again. He grabbed Helen. He slammed her into the examination table. Helen called out in pain. She slid down the side of it. She swung the baton again, hoping to strike Sam in the ankles. Sam ripped the baton out of her grasp. He lifted her up by the collar of her shirt. Helen wiggled in his grasp. She put her hands around his. "Sam...please wake up..."

She felt Sam put his hand around her neck. "I'm not going to let you trick me anymore." His hold steadily grew tight.

Helen whimpered. "S-Sam. Please. It's me. Helen." 

Sam tightened his hold. He pressed her down on the table. He watched as Helen squirmed to get free. Helen locked eyes with him. She was tearing up. Sam snapped out of his daze. He realized what he was doing. He pulled away from her. He scrambled off to a corner of the room. He pressed his back as far as he could against it.

Helen groaned as she stood up. "Sam. It's okay. You were just scared." she rubbed her throat gently. She walked over to him. Sam curled up away from her. "No! I'm bad. Stay away!"