Chapter Thirteen: Oleander

Malcolm arrived at the Police Station. Winter yawned as he looked around. "we home yet?" he asked.

"Yep. C'mon."

The two of them entered the station. An older Hispanic woman waited for the both of them. "Welcome back, boys."

"Great to be back but there's one thing that we need to discuss." Malcolm handed Rose the note.

Rose examined the note quietly. "Genocide? You mean she's planning a full blown killing spree?"

"Sounds like it. We even found a weird incubator in the back of Helen's ambulance. She's currently caring for the child that was left in it." Commented Malcolm.

Rose sighed. "Polonium is not making any of this easy. Have we confirmed that Sam is in a safe location."

"Not yet. I haven't heard anything from either one of the boys. I imagine they are though."

Rose thinks for a moment. "I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on our corners. I do want to dust this note for fingerprints. In case we can catch the writer. Who knows if Polonium left a trap for us." 

Winter and Malcolm both nod in agreement. Rose handed the note over to Winter. "See if you can't find any evidence on this."

"Will do."

"and I'd better get back to my sister's house. I'll alert you on the child's condition."

"Alright. Stay safe."

Malcolm left the Police Station. He couldn't help but feel uneasy. He drove back to his sister's house on his bike. He parked behind his sister's ambulance before walking up to the front door. He noticed that the door was locked. He gave the door a gentle knock.

Helen got up from her chair. She answered the door to see her brother standing outside. She motioned for him to come in. He tip-toed into the house. The baby was still resting peacefully. Malcolm noticed that Helen was able to find the stuff she had from when Mandy was that small. "How is she?" he asked.

"The baby's fine. Still super small for her age." whispered Helen. "She's just been napping away in her basket."

"That's good. I still find it sickening that Polonium was planning on killing the small thing."

"The killing part isn't the only thing that bugs me, Malcolm. It's the idea that Sam had gotten that woman pregnant. I know it wasn't his fault but, what do I tell him?"

"You tell him that he has a child. He deserves to know."

Helen looked down at the child. "What kind of a world do we live in?" she wondered.

Sam woke back up again. He could smell food being cooked. His stomach howled. He limped out of his room. He spotted Katryn in the kitchen cooking. His brother was talking to a woman he didn't recognize. He hung back a bit. "Glad you could join us, Samuel." mused Katryn

Celeste turned around. She eyed him up and down. "Damn, you are gorgeous."

Sam blushed. He coughed. He turned his head away politely.

"Where are my manners? I'm Celeste Fiori. I was the one that developed the cure that saved your life."

Sam nodded. He sat with his brother on the couch. He stayed silent. Charlie patted his brother's shoulder. "She doesn't bite. I promise."

"No but I will talk your ear off about science. Shame that my old mentor is causing so much pain." sighed Celeste.

"Polonium was your mentor?" asked Charlie.