Chapter Eleven: Family

Charlie came by to see his brother the next day. Winter was halfway asleep in his chair. His head shot past his hand. He snapped awake. He looked up to see Charlie getting close to the door. "Morning Charlie." greeted Winter.

"Morning Winter. I've come to see Sam."

"Be quiet when you do. I think Helen and Sam are still sleeping."

Charlie nodded. "Got it." Charlie entered the room. He found Malcolm still keeping watch over Sam. Helen was resting right next to him. Her head laid on her brother's chest.

Malcolm glanced over his shoulder. "Oh hey Charlie." whispered Malcolm.

"Finally got them both to rest, huh?"

Malcolm nodded. "Sam's been out cold since you left. It was Helen that was being a pain."

"She needs to rest. It won't do her any good not to."

"She knows that. She just doesn't want to acknowledge the fact that even she needs to take a break every now and then."

Charlie chuckled. He sat at the foot of his brother's bed. Sam's head was turned slightly towards the window. He looked a lot better than he did yesterday. He was still a bit pale and thin. "I did bring some more clothes for him. Bronwyn and I are currently staying in a hotel close by. Gareth is watching the kids."

"Good. As much as it would be good for the twins to see their Uncle, I'd rather it not be when Sam's like this."

"Agreed." Charlie laid a hand on his brother's leg. "I can't say I rested real well last night."

"Like I told Helen, you both need to take care of yourselves for Sam. No sense in letting yourselves get weak."

"I get more antsy the longer Polonium is out there. I don't know how she's going to strike next."

"Don't you worry about that, Charlie. Once we head back to PontyPandy, I'm going to talk to Rose. See if we can't get some sort of plan together. I just want everyone to be on their guard for now on."

"Helen said that Polonium used my number to get in touch with her. It's like she knows Sam's every weakness."

"Hmm, that means we should be weary of who we trust."

"That's why I wanted to take Sam away from PontyPandy. She knows way too much about all of us. She'll use any method to find him."

Malcolm sighed. He thought about it for a good long minute. "Alright. I'll trust your judgement just this once. You'd better get Sam as far away as you can once he's recovered. I'll talk to Helen about it when she wakes up."

Charlie nodded. "I do appreciate what you've lot have done for him. I'm sure he does too."

"Where do you plan on taking him?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out. I'll hopefully have an answer by the time he gets better. I don't want to rush his recovery. I do have a favor to ask."

"Go ahead."

"Please take care of my wife and kids. Don't let anything bad happen to them. It would be far too dangerous for me to bring them with us."

"I will. I promise."

Charlie grinned slightly. He went back to watching his brother sleep.

Helen woke up a little while later. She yawned as she sat upright. She rubbed sleep from her eyes. "Look whose finally awake?" teased Malcolm. "Was beginning to think I had a dead body sleeping by me."