Chapter Twelve: Dust Bowl Dance

Polonium had been hard at work crafting the explosive she needed to wipe PontyPandy off the map. She was able to complete it in pretty descent time. She stood back to admire her handiwork. The batteries had been wired together in a way that wouldn't be detectable by normal means. The chemicals inside of the batteries were about as stable as lithium ion batteries that had been left out in the heat for too long. "Prefect." muttered Polonium. "Now I just need the finishing touch."

Crompton watched her move over to another device she had off in the corner. This device had something growing inside of it. "is that?"

Polonium nodded. "You see, Crompton, I've gotten rather good at prefecting the art of speeding up the growth of human fetuses."

Crompton gulped. "What do you plan on doing with that baby?" 

"I'm going to use her as bait to lure out that pathetic firefighter."

"that's a bit much don't you think? I honestly thought you would of been satisfied just leveling the town."

"That isn't enough. I still want him. This thing he left inside of me will be the key to getting what I want."

Crompton had an uneasy look on his face. "Polonium, I'm not sure I like this. This isn't right. I'm crossing the line at child murdering."

She turned to look at him. "Don't tell me your backing out, Crompton."

Crompton gulped. "I'm not. I just think that this is a bit much. I honestly think we should just stick to the bomb."

Her eyes narrowed. "I'll think about it."

Crompton had been Polonium's assistant ever since she first started working on experiments. He felt like he was watching her slide down a slope she couldn't stop on. Her mental state worried him greatly. He quietly left the room. I can't let her murder a child. This is too much. I know where I can take the child. I only hope they'll  look after it.

He waited for her to leave the lab before snatching the incubator that had the child in it. He wrapped it up in his lab coat. He carefully snuck out of the lab. He headed for the jeep he had parked down the mountain road. He put the incubator in the front passenger seat of his car and hopped in. He drove away from the lab.

Meanwhile,

Charlie and Sam arrived in Cardiff. Sam looked around. "I've got a place for us to stay." said Charlie.

"Who are we staying with?" asked Sam.

Just as Charlie was going to reply, a dusky brown haired woman walked up to them. She was dressed in a brown bomber jacket. She had on a pair of jeans that were a bit tore up. She smiled. "I take it you two are the Jones Brothers?"

Charlie nodded. "Sam, this is Katryn. She's a family friend. She's letting us lay low with her."

Kat motioned for the both of them to follow her. "This way, boys."

Charlie and Sam began to follow her. Katryn lead them through the back alleyways of the city. She tucked her hands into her jacket. Sam felt rather uneasy. He wasn't sure if Kat was going to lead them into a trap or secretly use them for her own purposes. She paused outside of a door that sat on the back of a building. She opened it. "After you."

Sam eyed her before entering. He heard a soft "click" from somewhere in the darkness. The lights hummed to life. Katryn lived in kind of a loft. The living room sat in the center of the room while the kitchen was off to the left and a hallway was off to the right.