A Date for Gomer

About a week later, Sam was in the office doing some paperwork.

She was waiting for her friends to call her and notify her about Murray.

"Ring, phone, ring" she said to herself.

Gomer walked in the office soon after.

"Mornin', sister from another mister" he said.

"Hi, Gomer" Sam sighed.

"Hey, no friend of Gomer Pyle's frowns. No, seriously. Sometimes Barney's buck teeth prevent mouth inversion" said Gomer.

"I'm just bummed about Murray." Sam said.

"What's his problem now?" said Gomer.

"Now? It's been going on since Andy hired me" Sam said.

"Oh, in that case, I get it. Still sick with the flu, is he?" said Gomer.

"Yup. On the other hand, the dance is tomorrow. I wanted to go with him" Sam said.

"You still could. Odds are your friends could call and say he's doin' okay" said Gomer.

"I know. I've been waiting and they haven't called. And Cal and Charles Wallace don't go to school til eight." Sam said.

"Maybe it's still pretty serious then" said Gomer.

"And the worst part is, he's still out of it, but Paul's alright" Sam said.

"Golly. Murray's got it bad" said Gomer.

"I know right? What kind of flu virus got into him?" Sam said.

"What kinda question is that?" Gomer asked.

"I dunno. I don't even know where it came from" Sam said.

"Well, I can answer it by saying that sick folks is like hot dogs. Especially if they're your boyfriend" said Gomer.

"How is my sick boyfriend like a hot dog?" Sam said.

"Well, honey, Murray's like a hot dog for this simple reason. He's delicious. But wonderin' about what's inside while he's sick will make ya puke wit' him" said Gomer.

"You're right. I'm gonna stop worrying until the phone rings" Sam said.

"Atta girl" said Gomer.

"Hey, so, are you going to the dance?" Sam said.

"Oh, I dunno. I've never gone out wit a woman before" said Gomer.

"It's okay. You'll figure it out" Sam said.

"I'm not sure, Sam. It's easy for you. You're goin' out wit' one o' the Wiggles" said Gomer.

"Well, it wasn't that easy for Murray. It took him six years to finally win me over" Sam said.

"Six years?" said Gomer.

"Yeah. We did date for a while before then. And then we broke up and he didn't give up on me. So now here we are together again six years later" Sam said.

"That's what I'm afraid of. What if it takes me six years to find a date for the dance?" said Gomer.

"I'm sure you'll find someone" Sam said.

"Hey, guys" said Barney when he walked in.

"Hey, Barn" said Gomer.

"Hi" Sam said.

"Hey, Gomer. I got you a date for the dance. Thelma Lou said her cousin's coming over and she won't go to the dance unless she has a date as well" said Barney.

"Well, what do you know? You do have a date, Gomer" Sam said.

"Great! Sam, ain't you goin' to the dance?" said Gomer.

"I don't think so. If Murray's still incapacitated when the phone rings, I'm really not going." Sam said.

Will Sam be able to go?

And do you think Gomer will succeed with Thelma Lou's cousin?

Let's see!

Peace and love,

Sammy