A Misunderstanding

A few hours later, Sam was able to come home.

"Sam! It's good to see you're back" said John.

"Any luck with the money?" said Paul.

"Yeah. I get two bucks an hour per day" Sam said.

"Brilliant. You should have enough money to stop the outbreak soon" said George.

"Hey, Sam. I hope you didn't bring the outbreak into the office with you" said Charles Wallace.

"I didn't. I've been an officer for two weeks and nothing happened" Sam said.

"Good. I'd hate it if the sheriff caught the flu from us" said Calvin.

"Me too. A town without a sheriff is a town without a law. And a town without law is a town without a conscience" said Meg.

"I know. Speaking of the outbreak, how's Murray doing?" Sam said.

"Well, he's the same. He's talking like his heart's about to break" said Jeff.

"I think you ought to see him" said Anthony.

Sam entered Murray's room and she saw that he was really pale.

"Sam?" Murray whispered.

"Hi, Murray" Sam whispered back.

"How's your job?" Murray managed to say.

"It's good. I love it" Sam responded.

"I'm glad" said Murray.

"How you feeling?" Sam said.

Murray was in a lot of pain so he couldn't respond. He just pointed to his tummy.

"Oh. Still?" Sam said.

"Yeah" Murray whispered.

"I just hope you can get better by tomorrow" Sam said.

"What happens tomorrow?" said Murray.

"The Mayberry dance is tomorrow and I need a date" Sam said.

"That's it?" said Murray.

"Yeah"

"That dance is the only reason you hope I feel better soon?" said Murray.

"Well... maybe a little. But I promise it's more than that" Sam said.

"Like what?"

"I can't think of anything offhand"

"Right"

"Murray..."

"It's alright, Sam. I'm glad you care that I get well, but now that I know why you care..." said Murray.

"Wouldn't you wanna go to the dance with me if you were well enough?" Sam said.

"I wouldn't be well enough anyway. I feel worse now that I know my girl only cares that I get well for a dance" Murray answered.

"But..." Sam began.

"It's okay, Sammy. You don't have to go. I'd hate for you to go to a dance alone" said Murray on the edge of tears.

"Oh..." was all Sam could say.

The next day, at her job, Sam was sadly doing more paperwork.

"Sammy, you ain't actin' like you. What's your problem?" said Gomer.

"I told Murray about the dance and how I wanted him to get well in time" Sam said.

"And?" said Barney.

"And he took it the wrong way. Now I really don't have a date" Sam said.

"Sorry, honey" said Andy.

"I'm sure you'll find someone" said Barney.

"I don't even wanna go" Sam said.

"Oh, come on, Sam. Don't be like that. You found me a date. We'll find you a date" said Gomer.

"But are you sure it'd be okay with Murray?" Sam said.

"Absolutely. Considering you broke up with him for a few years, the bar isn't exactly set high" said Andy.

"But, Andy, your date stood you up. You don't have one either" Sam said.

"Actually, I'm goin' with Helen Crump. She's a girl across the street from my place" said Andy.

"Hmm" Sam responded.

"But you know who also doesn't have a date? My son" said Andy.

"Opie? You want me to give Murray up for your son?" Sam said.

"Definitely not give Murray up. You don't even have to tell him you went to the dance" said Barney.

"Barney. Murray and I have never had secrets before. I even told him when I broke his chair and fixed it with gum" Sam said.

"Thank you for that mental picture" said Andy.

"Listen, kid. Don't let a misunderstanding keep you from goin to the dance. I'm sure Opie will go if you ask him" said Gomer.

"I guess" Sam said.

Gee. things just got intense.

Will Sam end up going to the dance?

Will Opie accept her?

Peace and love,

Sammy