Sam Meets Gomer

In Mayberry, Sam entered the Sheriff's office and the first face she saw was a man working while sitting at a desk.

"Excuse me. I need to speak with the sheriff." Sam said.

"Sheriff Taylor and Deputy Fife are on a case, so you'll have to deal with me" said the man.

"Okay" Sam agreed.

"So. What can I do for ya, kid?" said the man.

"I'm here to apply to be an officer here. I'm Sam Pan" Sam said.

"I'm Gomer Pyle" said the man shaking hands with Sam.

"Hi. I'm from Never Land but I live in England where there is a flu outbreak and a heck of a number of deaths from it. My friend Meg is a surgeon but my guys figured I should have a job too so this is what I opted for" Sam explained.

"In that case, I vote yes. You'd be a better cop than my cousin, Goober Pyle. And not just cause you is a girl" said Gomer.

"Why? What'd he do?" Sam asked.

"One time, the sheriff caught the flu and he took his place. He crashed the police car and it didn't end well" Gomer explained.

"Your cousin seems pretty stupid" Sam said.

"He's ugly but he ain't stupid" said Gomer.

"Either way, thanks for voting me in as an officer. Why can't it be official?" Sam said.

"Well, because the sheriff doesn't know you're applying. It can't be official til you explain yourself to him" said Gomer.

"Oh yeah. Makes sense" Sam said.

"Now, Miss Sam. About this flu outbreak. Did anyone you know catch it so ya wanna make money to save them?" Gomer asked.

"Yeah. My friends and I live with the Beatles and Paul McCartney has it."

"Wait. The Beatles?" said Gomer with excitement.

"I know right?" Sam said.

"That's my tax dollars hard at work" said Gomer.

"So we figured that Meg shouldn't be the only kid in our group with a job." Sam said.

"You made a good choice, kiddo. If you ask me, there's no better way to make money than working with the sheriff" said Gomer.

"Oh yeah? Is he nice?" Sam said.

"You bet."

"Great. I can't wait. So whatcha workin on?" Sam said.

"Have a look" said Gomer.

He showed Sam the paperwork he was working on.

"Parking tickets?" Sam said.

"Yeah. It's my first time on parking duty. I'm horrible at writing this sort of ticket" answered Gomer.

"Oh, it's easy. Just write how long the craws parked and how long it should have been and bam. Lesson learned" Sam said.

"Golly, Sam. You's a pretty smart kid. I think the sheriff will allow you to be an officer here" said Gomer.

"Thanks, Officer Pyle" Sam said.

"We're friends now, kid. Call me Gomer"

"Really? Okay, Gomer"

Looks like Sam's making strides so far. She even made a friend.

What's coming up? What could it be?

One more click and we will see!

Peace and love,

Sammy