Opie and Sam

Sam stopped by the Taylors' house to talk to Opie.

"Hello there, Sam" said Aunt Bee.

"Hi, Aunt Bee. Is Opie in?" Sam said.

"Why, yes he is. Opie! Sam Pan is here" said Aunt Bee.

Opie hurried outside to see Sam.

"Howdy, Sam" said Opie.

"Hi" Sam said.

"Whatcha doin here? Did someone steal somethin? Wasn't me" Opie joked.

"You character" Sam laughed.

"Anywho, I heard there's gonna be a bigger turnout at the dance this year" said Opie.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You goin'?"

"I wanna but I don't have a date" Sam said.

"What do you mean? My pa says you're datin' one o' the Wiggles" said Opie.

"Your pa's right. Murray can't go because he's sick with the flu" Sam said.

"Is he? If he wants to get better by tonight, he should force fluids" said Opie.

"You don't understand" Sam said.

"I think I do. It's just advice. Forcing fluids makes you perspire and that breaks your fever. That's what my pa says when I'm sick" said Opie.

"I know. But you're missing the point. I told Murray about the dance and I thought he'd be thrilled that I wanted to go with him." Sam said.

"Yeah, and?"

"And then he just got sad because he thinks I only care that he gets better because of the dance" Sam said.

"Oh. It's more than that, huh?" said Opie.

"Yeah. Now I can't go myself" Sam said.

"You still could. I ain't got a date either." said Opie.

"And the worst part is neither of us have a date but your pa found one likety-split" Sam said.

"Hey! Here's a thought. Sam, you wanna go to the dance with me?" said Opie.

"Well. Your pa told me to ask you." Sam said.

"Well, now I'm asking you. What do you say?" said Opie.

"I don't know, Opie. I want a date for this dance but... I don't know if Murray will tolerate another boy. And it wouldn't be the same without him" Sam said.

"Gee, ma'am. I'm sure he wouldn't mind." Opie said.

"Now that I think about it, he tolerated every other man I dated" Sam said.

"And if it ain't the same, I could wear a red top" said Opie.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Come on, Sam. The dance'll be a good way to de-stress you about the outbreak" said Opie.

Sam thought for a minute before saying "Alrighty. I'm in. I'll go to the dance with you, Opie".

"Thanks, Sam!" said Opie.

"Are you sure you're old enough to go to that dance? Barney says it requires elegance and sophistication" Sam said.

"I'm thirteen. I'll be fine. Especially with a fifteen-year-old officer as a date" said Opie.

"Okay then" Sam said.

"Meet me at this very spot at eight?" said Opie.

"I can hardly wait!" Sam said.

Yay! Sam's going to the dance!

But will she be happy there?

Let's see!

Peace and love,

Sammy