♦️Chapter 1♦️

The tips of the pines swayed softly with the breeze, blending in with the inky black of night with the exception of the twinkling stars shining through the somber darkness.

The sparks from the campfire snapped and crackled, a satisfying sound that kept everyone's worries at bay as she sharpened her small knife with a hefty stone.

An overwhelming feeling of bitterness washed over her mind, continually flashing back to the events that took place a few hours ago.

The king was in her grasp, but her hesitance held her back. And it was killing her inside.

"You alright Milly?" His hazel brown eyes reflected his apprehension upon asking that question.

"What do you think?" she snapped, briskly turning her head around. "We were so close, if I didn't freeze up, this would all be over."

His gaze softened as he seated himself next to her on the log. "You know it's more complicated than that."

"It may be so, but it would've gotten us one step closer to restoring Rosemania's former prosperity."

"Taking a life is a very hard thing to do Milly."

She narrowed her eyes, still maintaining eye contact with the ground. "Remember Jake, I've killed a man before."

"Yes, I remember vividly, I was there, he would've killed you too if you hadn't defended yourself."

"What's your point then?"

"Defending yourself is one thing, seeking out to murder someone is a different matter entirely."

"Tell that to the thousands of innocent civilians that he sentenced to death." Her response, much like her glare, was ice cold. "And most of them were falsely imprisoned."

"She's right Jake."

The two peered up as an indigo haired man seated himself beside them.

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. The king is a dictator who cost the lives of thousands of people, all because of his craving for wealth. It's evident that he's not going to change," he continued.

Jake slowly nodded at the statement and proceeded to admire the fire for a bit.

"Hey, I'm back."

"Hey Luke," Milly greeted. "Where's Lia, she was supposed to go with you."

"I'm here!"

She came running up, panting, as the grass crunched and folded under her feet. "I'm still pretty new at this. That's a lot of ground you guys cover. Are you sure that's just in one night?"

"Yep, I suggest you get used to it," Milly stoically replied. "Luke helped you correct?"

Lia nodded. "I never knew so many guards patrolled the grounds at night."

"It's gotten more heavily guarded ever since we made ourselves known," Zander stated. "And it gets worse as time goes on."

"I see." Lia grew quiet for a moment, fixating her focus on the forestry surroundings.

"Anyhow, I'll get dinner started," Luke said with a smile, breaking the short-lived silence. "I caught a pheasant earlier."

"Alrighty, I'll go collect some herbs, Zander can you help me?" Lia added.

"Uh, sure."

The three trekked off to nearby places close to the campsite, leaving Jake and Milly remaining by the fire with pondering thoughts.