♦️Chapter 7♦️

Dim beams of moonlight crept in through the cracks in the wall, barely lighting up the bitter cold floor. The dark, lackluster room reflected the melancholic atmosphere and the silence, there was no sound other than the occasional depressed sigh from the crestfallen.

It's only been a few hours, but it felt like the six of them were confined to the tiny cell for centuries. Lia found the eerie silence discomforting, shifting her position and glanced around the room, once again.

Jake was still unconscious, lying on the floor, with noticeable spots of dry blood stained on his face and hands.

Zander just continued to stare straight ahead, barely blinking, appearing to be more done with life than usual.

Lia looked over her shoulder, seeing Luke sitting beside her. Normally a happy ray of sunshine, his discouraged and lifeless gaze felt extremely foreign.

Hailey, the princess she hardly recognized, was curled up in the corner by Jake's side. She appeared troubled and anxious at his condition, silently praying to herself for him to wake up.

And Milly, sitting by herself, staring towards the outside through the closely-knit iron bars. She hasn't turned around, she hasn't spoken a word, not even an audible exhale. She seemed utterly broken.

"How long have we been in here?" Lia whispered, breaking the silence.

"Why does it matter?" Zander snapped in reply, shooting a spine-chilling glare into her dark brown eyes.

"It was just a question!"

"A question that doesn't matter, we're probably stuck here until the day we all die! Nothing matters anymore!" The two of them angrily stood up to face each other.

"I get that our situation looks grim but-

"Grim! Are you kidding me? We're in prison, Jake is injured, and everything we've ever worked for is completely gone! There's absolutely nothing we can do."

"I can't afford to believe that."

"Well then you're an idiot."

"Guys, now is not the time to argue," Luke dryly said, failing to interrupt.

"I'm not an idiot, I'm hopeful," Lia responded, ignoring the auburn-haired boy's growing irritated expression.

Zander grumbled with a frown plastered on his face. "I can't talk to you."

Lia rolled her eyes. "We can come up with something to get us out of here, right Milly?"

The fuchsia-haired girl didn't respond, her back turned to everyone.

"See Lia, even Milly understands the gravity of this situation," Zander bleated. "We are stuck in this dreaded cell for the rest of our lives."

A scratchy cough echoed through the room, a few heads turned to see Jake finally wake up.

"Jake!" Hailey exclaimed, relieved and scrambling over to him.

"Hailey," he croaked in reply. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I don't think I'm okay." He felt the sensation of dried blood scratch the back of his throat.

Hailey sighed, realizing he was right, Jake took a bad beating earlier. She gripped his hand, lifting her head to face the other rebellion members.

"So you're the noble the simp is so smitten with?" Zander queried.

The cyan-haired maiden raised an eyebrow in response. "Uh, yes?"

"If you're a noble, then what are you doing in here?" Lia inquired with a perplexed look.