Chapter 11: The Girl With The Tattoo

I stood awkwardly inside my apartment, waiting. The only question was; what was I waiting for? Staring at the floor, holding my phone tightly, I sighed. There was never an answer to my question, just empty silence, and even emptier loneliness. I walked to my kitchen, where a cup rested in the sink. My hands started shaking as I walked to the sink and picked up the glass. This was Bry's cup.

I tried not to cry again, but it was impossible. Not even the sound of the water from the faucet drowned out my sobs. He had been right. He had just wanted to live. He had been one of the best runners on the track team, and now I knew why he'd dropped out.

"Damn, go, Bry!" I yell, watching him finish the mile track run.

"Thanks," He pants as he runs up to me and gives me a high five. "What's my time?"

"Uh..." I look down at my phone and check the timer. "It's five minutes and forty-five seconds."

"Ah, could've done better..." He says as he picks up a water bottle. "Actually, I'm uh... dropping out."

"What? Why?" I jump up, staring at him in confusion.

He bites his lip. "I... um... I'm going to focus on school from now on."

Did you know then, is that why? I looked at the glass that I'd been washing, seeing it sparkle in the light of the kitchen. I put it away, a pang of guilt flushing through me as I did. When I finished, I found my way back to my bedroom. Sitting down on my bed, I recalled the last time that Bry had been there. The soap, and the homemade bed on the floor, all ran across my head like a kid across a field. I frowned, taking my phone and looking through my contacts. Delina crossed the screen, and I paused on her name. My finger tapped on her contact, and I found myself debating. Part of me wanted to call her, but the realist in me argued.

I ignored the realist in me, hitting the call button. I had to get to know her. Delina answered quickly, her voice sending small ripples through my stomach.

"Hello?" She answered.

"H- Hi!" I stuttered. "It's Kallie,"

"Kallie?" Delina sounded happily surprised. "What's up!"

"Uh... not much," I said nervously. "What... what's up with you?"

"Oh, you know, living," She replied lightly. "How are you?"

I laid down, staring at the hourglass on the ceiling. "Well, I got invited to a party."

"Oh? How very cool!" She laughed. I could picture her smile for a brief second.

I bit my lip, nerves taking my breath away. "So... I was-"

"Oh, hey, Kallie, listen, I've got a customer! I'll call you back, ok, babe?" She said hurriedly.

I huffed in a gulp of air, nearly dropping my phone. "I- um- yeah, sure!"

I hung up, shaking. She hadn't meant it that way. I tried to convince myself to let it go, but my breathing refused to even out. The heat burning my cheeks and arms was intense, and I threw my phone down on my bed. I sat up, trying to find excuses I could use to run away. Just then, my phone buzzed. I picked it up slowly, seeing that Kevin had replied to my text.

4:30 PM- Hey, no worries. Let me know if you need anything.

4:30 PM- I will. Kevin, when's that party?

4:31 PM- This Friday, at my friend's place. You want to come?

4:31 PM- Maybe, not sure yet, tbh. I'll let you know?