chapter 7

edited

apricot princess | rex orange county

"I hope you believe me when I say, that I don't see any other"

"suga," you began, struggling with your words, "what's the real issue?"

silence. you were so confused. what was the problem? did he not like your company enough? was there . . . someone else? not that it was any of your business, or that it mattered. but it did matter. just a bit . . .

"y/n-"

~ sugawara's pov

his angel. could he really just leave her alone? abandon the one person he'd grown to secretly cherish within his heart? and yet, here she was. y/n, someone he could not only hear but see. touch even.

she was real and relatable. kind, generous, and sacrificial. funny and exciting to talk to. she was one of a kind, someone he had grown to cherish as well.

his angel was, well, a girl with the most wonderful voice he had ever heard. but he could only hear her. he couldn't see her, touch her, get to know her for who she truly was. he didn't even know if he would ever get a chance to do those things with his angel, ever.

and knowing all of this, he knew what he had to do.

~ neutral pov

"y/n, i can't lie to myself or to you any longer. you asking me to be here with you after our practice today made me more excited than i've been in a long time."

you nodded, not wanting to interrupt him. you were eager to hear what he had to say and where he was going. but you were trying not to get your hopes up.

sugawara continued, "i want to keep spending time like this with you. if that's what you want also."

you tried to hide you smile, obviously failing when his eyes teasingly met yours. "i do want to spend time with you suga, very much so. i'm just a bit worried about that, uhm, outburst of yours a few minutes ago."

he chuckled, waving his hand in the air. "that was just me being dramatic. i assure you, i was just struggling coming to terms with these sorts of feelings, i've never been through this with anyone else."

he took your hands into his, shocking you with how cold they were.

but the both of you felt the electric energy go through your bodies that from earlier that day. except this time, you both held eye contact, and it was intense and passionate. but clear, crystal clear. no confusion, no internal struggle that you had both sensed earlier.

"y/n, there's you and only you. i can't see anyone else, won't see anyone else. i want to try this out with you, go out some more and get to know each other better before, you know, diving all in."

you nodded again, almost at a loss for words. it seemed too good to be true. at this point, any thoughts of your secret admirer meant nothing. he was just a boy in passing, someone you barely knew. but sugawara, he was real and here and in front of you.

"i agree, suga. i want to try this out too."

the two of you sat in silence for a bit. his hands stayed intertwined with yours, and your head rested on his shoulder. the quiet was calm, peaceful. you both didn't feel the need to talk and fill the silence with forced conversation. 

being in each others presence was enough. 

~

it had been a couple of weeks since you and suga had confessed to each other. since then he had been busy training for the interhigh preliminaries, which the team unfortunately lost.