𝟎𝟎𝟐. popular in life and death

❛ liars share with those they deceive the desire not to be deceived ❜

THE WHITLAW FAMILY HAD ALWAYS WORN THEIR HEARTS ON THEIR SLEEVES, IT WAS JUST HOW THEY WERE ALL RASIED. Juliana was brought up that way by her own parents and she made sure that to bring her kids up in the same way. She belied it was the best wat. This meant that Valerie, her two brothers and her sister were all very loving people.

The first thing Valerie was hit with was the flush of cool air brushing against her bare legs. Valerie stopped mid-way through the back door, her eyebrows knitted together.

"Mom! Dad!" She called out, her voice echoing through the empty home. She threw her keys in the dish bowl placed on the kitchen counter, while she made her way to the pantry to found something to eat.

"You shouldn't eat Mum's chocolate you know." An all too familiar voice interjected as she spun around and she saw her older brother.

"Charlie!" She exclaimed jumping into his arms and pulling him close. "What are you doing here? I thought you were going straight to College from Europe?"

Valerie's older brother, Charles, is 3 years older than Valerie, and he definitely acts like the older brother. Annoying and infuriating but mostly protective. He loves his family, they're his world and he'd do anything for them. Although Valerie wasn't one to show it often she loved how caring he was, how loving he was and how he would do anything for the people he loved.

"And miss the chance to see my favourite little sister before I go?"

"Don't let Ash, hear you say that."

"Fair point she would probably kill you just to receive that highest honour." He joked but he quickly noticed the sad small that formed on his sister's face. "Sorry, you know that I didn't mean it like that."

"You of all people know that I don't like it when people coddle me." Valerie looking up from the chocolate in her hand.

Charles looked at his sister for moment, as though trying to read her mind. "Yes I do know that but I am your older brother which means I get to ask you if you are okay."

"Why does everyone have to keep asking me that." Valerie exclaimed, slamming her hands down either side of her on the counter.

"Because I know that you could lie to everyone else, but I know that you can't lie to me, Val."

"I'm fine." Valerie responded and continued to eat the chocolate earning a chuckle from her brother at her stubbornness.

"Valerie ... you home?" Juliana's voice rung through the house as she came through the front door.