Chapter Twenty one

Chapter twenty one

Layla flicked the torch on and off. On and off. She angled it in every way possible so that all areas of the dusty cupboard had been searched.

Janna watched from the other side of the room, arms crossed, waiting patiently.

Still, Layla hadn't found it. It had to be in the house somewhere though.

She brushed her coat off and slowly crawled out of the small cupboard. Nothing but ornaments in brown paper packaging.

Shutting the wooden door, Layla turned to Janna.

"Are you sure you have no idea where it is?"

She nodded.

"Janna this is important. Are you sure."

"Yeah...", her reply was faint, "sometimes he'd just... Just go to the spare room, and think. But they've already searched there." She said, leaning against the stair bannister.

Layla nodded.

Police couldn't always be trusted to find everything, but in cases like this, Layla needed all the evidence she could get.

The spare room was cold. The walls were a pale grey colour, and the paint had began to peel. Besides a low wooden framed bed, there was little in the room, apart from a small cabinet in the corner and three empty shelves underneath the window at the back of the room.

Layla took a step forward but paused when the floor creaked beneath her. Glancing back to see Janna waiting in the doorway, she knelt down.

There was one plank, ever so slightly out of place. How had no one noticed it before?

The dusty floor made her nose itch as she gently teased the loose plank away from the rest of the floor. She discarded the wood, splinters flickering, bouncing across the room.

Just as she's suspected, there was a neat stack of papers, tidily tucked away.

**********

Janna

I was aware of my own ragged breathing as Layla, who was kneeling on the floor of the spare room, sifted through the pages to find the ones she was looking for.

Kyle rushed through the door, his eyes wide. He'd been running and was now out of breath.
"Kyle?"
He looked up at me. "I-..." He stepped closer for a hug, before telling me what he'd seen.
-
3 days later
-
"You can't keep doing this!"
Kyle ignored me, just slumped down further into the sofa.
"Don't let him pressure you into doing this Kyle."
"But what if I do want to do this."
I glared at him as I slid down next to him, sinking slowly into the dark leather.
"You can't keep doing this, can't you see how exhausted you are?"
Kyle slowly dragged his gaze away from the tv to look straight at me.
"Look, I'll give it up, I'll do it, find something new..."
I slowly nodded, "but?" I knew there was more.
"There are some things, that I can't do, secrets that...-

***********

Layla

There was a shuffle by the door, and when Layla looked up, Janna was gone.

Looking down at the paper in her hands, she'd finally found Kyle's will, Layla realised why Janna had suddenly vanished.

Five days before he'd been murdered, Kyle had changed one specific part of his will. He'd left nearly everything he'd had, to Janna.

*********

A/N

Sorry I missed some updates, but I've been ill, so couldn't write anything :/

Please vote, comment, share etc... :)