Chapter Fourteen

Chapter fourteen

The white lab coat stretched down to her shins, flapping against her legs as she ran.

A thick layer of fog made it impossible to see more than a few meters in front of her, but despite this, the dark figure behind her was gaining ground.

The sky seemed to spiral into a white abyss above her head.

Layla stumbled repeatedly, twigs snapping, and grazing at her fingers as she scrabbled back to her feet.

Time and time again.

Slowly she was falling behind, the white lab coat turning grey, green and brown, as the undergrowth snagged the material.

All the time, the shadow behind her loomed closer, until she tripped for the last time.

Strong, black gloved hands grabbed her, lifting her into the air.

Layla tried fighting back, kicking, slapping her assailant, but to no avail. Her breathing was ragged, laboured, getting worse as she finally faced the masked killer pushing her to the ground.

Dressed all in black, giving no hints as to who it was.

Then, she saw the crowbar.

Struggling harder, Layla put out a hand to shield her face, screaming as the metal weapon shattered her fingers.

She managed to slide her other wrist from their grip and slip away as the crowbar dented the ground where she'd been stood.

Holding her injured hand to her chest, with her free hand, she ripped off the black mask concealing the killer, as they turned to face her-

******

Layla sat up, her breathing heavy, the room dark.

She inspected her hand, flexing her fingers and rotating her wrist carefully.

Her body was hot and she could feel the sweat on her forehead, as she turned to look at the clock by her bed.

7:30

Well she doubted she'd get back to sleep now anyway, besides, she was in need of a shower.

What was that dream? It hadn't done anything to help, except raise her suspicions and paranoia, that the killer was close.

What would she do now? Layla didn't have a clue of where to go from here, but she had a sly thought.

*********

Crouching down, she felt around under the front doormat, until she found the key to Dan's house.

Good for her he wasn't in otherwise she'd have had to have created a believable excuse there and then, as to how, and why she was breaking into his house.

Closing the door quietly behind her, she cautiously made her way through the maze of rooms that was his house.

There had to be something in here.

She wasn't insinuating that Dan was the killer, there was just something odd, a thought nagging at the back of her mind.

Layla ran a hand through her hair, which, this time was in a messy side plait.

Everything was so neat and tidy, in a mashup of different eras, and styles that was Dan's home.

Somehow, it made Layla feel warm and welcome, despite the fact she was snooping around Dan's house in search of clues that may land him or a friend in prison for murder.

She took a step back from the latest room she'd ransacked. Draws hanging out of chests, paper scattered around the rooms, furniture askew.

Nothing.

Not a single useful thing she'd found. In all of the rooms there was nothing.

Layla paced, arms crossed, around the room.

She felt like ripping her hair out in frustration, she'd been so certain she'd find something, anything.

*********

After scraping up and tidying away the last pieces of paper, carefully rearranging dropped books, Layla clenched her teeth.

All this tearing apart Dan's house had led to nothing except several paper cuts.

As she approached the front door, there was a rustling noise underfoot.

Glancing down, she removed her heel and slowly worked the impaled paper off the end.

Dropping the black shoe back onto the floor Layla slowly worked her foot back into it as she unfolded the paper.

A letter.

The first thing that caught her attention was who it was addressed to: Kyle, and who it was from: Dan.

Layla bit her lip.

It was an apology, an apology Kyle never got to read.

***********

A/N

I haven't really been in the mood to write recently, but I'll try my best to get a chapter up tomorrow, so don't worry guys :)

Please vote, comment, share etc...