Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter twenty five

~ two hours before the murder ~

I still can't believe Will would do that to Awuoi. She'll kill him when she finds out he slept with some girl he'd picked up in a bar. In their bed.

Will hasn't called, but Woody did. He knew too. The pair of them aren't sure I'll be able to keep it a secret. To be honest, I don't know how long I'll keep it a secret for. I felt awful going behind Awuoi.

Leaves crunched and stuck to my new sneakers. "Dammit." It was rainy, and even though it was dark, I could see the mud, caking my newish shoes.

I'd escaped to the woods.

It was calm and quiet. I just needed time to think. That's all. Everything would be fine.

Out of the corner of my eye, there was a small light, flashing through the leaves. I felt like a hypocrite, but who would be out in the middle of the woods at this time?

I decided to get closer, the leaves dangling from tree branches and hedges rustled as the wind whistled through them. This covered the snapping of twigs underfoot as I approached the stranger.

I was 10 metres away when I froze.

Someone was crouched down, heaving something along. A torch illuminated their feet, and as they turned, I saw the matted, tangled hair of the girl they were dragging.

Mud covered both her and the person heaving her body into a small dent in the earth. They stumbled back, mud splattering up their legs.

They looked around nervously, and that's when their eyes landed on me. Looking me up and down. Grabbing the torch, they flashed it in my shocked face. I held my hands up in front of my eyes and squinted against the bright light.

"Kyle?"

Shit. No, I recognised that voice.

As if they knew what I was thinking, they brought the torch up to their face, illuminating their familiar features. We both stared in shock at each other

I whispered their name.

They nodded in response and took a step forward.

I took one back. My breathing heavy.

They outstretched their hand towards me. "I-I didn't mean to..." They took another step closer.

Again, I shuffled backwards.

"It was an, a-accident..." I could tell whether it was the rain or tears steadily streaming down their face now. Even 10 or so metres away, I could see they were quaking.

"What the hell have you done?!"

They flinched.

A small cut on their forehead had bled over their left eye, and their hand kept rubbing it away.

Shaking my head, I tried to find the right words.

"You, you've fucking killed someone."

"No, it's not like that!"

They hurriedly took a few more steps, which became strides, before they could close the gap between us, I ran.

Ignoring those familiar pleas to wait, to listen. How could I? They'd just killed someone.

I ducked under tree branches, taking no notice of the brambles scratching against my skin, frantically hoping everything was a dream. No one was dead.

They'd given up chasing after me now, but there was no doubt I'd see them again. Not after what I'd seen.

********
A/N

Any ideas who Kyle saw?

Please vote, comment, share etc... :)