Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter twenty eight

Janna had given her a spare key to the house. Layla shut the front door behind her slowly.

Most of the house was empty, a few boxes piled up here and there.

Walking to the living room, Layla realised how dusty the house had got. Janna had avoided being back as much as possible, even now, Layla found it hard to look at the bloodstain in the corner of the room. The wooden floor could be replaced, but Kyle couldn't.

The large, three seater sofa was still there. It was the only thing not packed up, but then again, what else could you do with a sofa?

Something caught her by surprise. There were scuff marks. Once, the sofa would've hidden them, but now, moved, the skid marks seemed to almost form a trail. The four marks weren't made by the sofa, and it seems like someone had been in a hurry to get everything over with.

It was a long stride. Chrissy, Woody and Janna weren't tall enough, besides, they all had alibis.

That only left Will and Dan.

Dan who's car had been smashed up on the night of Kyle's death, and Will who'd been cheating.

Dan had an alibi.

But would Will really kill his girlfriend to keep her quiet?

Layla felt like ripping her hair out with frustration. It could have been any one of them.

They all had alibis except from Will, and they all had a motive, as weak or nonexistent as they seemed.

In the three weeks she'd been here, Layla felt like it was on the tip of her tongue. She was closer than ever.

She swept the hair out of her eyes and sighed, pressing her fingertips to her temples as she leaned against the sofa.

The killer had left her messages. Quotes from Shakespeare.

Chrissy gave lectures about Shakespeare at the university.

Dan had studied English literature.

Will had a collection of Shakespeare on his bookcase.

Kyle had wanted to learn.

At the moment, the evidence was mounting up against Will. He'd always disappeared at convenient moments, refused to talk, and excluded himself.

The last person Awuoi had seen, was her murderer, and as far as Layla knew, that was Will.

But somehow she didn't think Will would do that. Why would he kill Kyle in the first place?

Kyle knew Will had been cheating, but so did Woody.

Unless there wasn't one killer, but two.

Now everyone knew she was close to finding out, would the killer meet her here? They all knew that's where she was going.

The key in Awuoi's hand had been to Kyle's front door, it was sticky, like someone had peeled a label off of it.

Dan. He had an extensive range of sticky labels to name all of his keys, she hadn't ever seen one for Kyle's house though.

Dan's key.

But why would-

Layla was cut off by the front door creaking open. She knew it was them. Turning around her eyes widened-

"Janna?"

*********

A/N

🎶cliffhanger🎶

😂 Sorry guys. I'm currently finishing the last chapter, which is going up tonight. A slight warning: it's quite violent. :)

Please vote, comment, share etc...