CHAPTER 15

Elle's POV

"I'm honestly not surprised" Camila sips her iced coffee as we walk through the mall. It was Saturday morning, and as planned, we went shopping. It's been awhile since we've spent genuine quality time together, and it felt so good. I just filled her in on my newfound feelings for Christian, and all the rest of my Hunter drama.

"Why not?"

"Your little crush is hella obvious by the way you guys act with each other. The chemistry is real," She takes another sip and gives me a look.

"I feel like an idiot honestly," I sigh. We enter one of my favorite clothing stores. I picked up a few Christmas gifts, so now I wanted to buy something to wear at dinner with Christians dad.

"He's not even the type to have a girlfriend, or take any girl serious...and even if he were..." I pause, and recall his words from last night.

"She came to see me before she left."

"I made it up to her."

I cringe.

"And what?" Camila interrupts my jealous overthinking.

"Even if he was into dating, I just know it wouldn't be with me" I reply. A white dress with long sleeves catches my eye. It seemed tight, but elegant at the same time. Right up my alley. Cute, but respectful.

"And you think it'd be Kayla? She's like a million years older than him." Camila gags. "That's like him dating Audrey."

I chuckle. "She's actually only four years older. And it's legal, he's eighteen."

"Doesn't matter. She has no place sleeping with him. Does Audrey even know?" The look of disgust on her face was priceless. I honestly can't blame Kayla. Christian was the total package. Smart, charming in his own way and fucking sexy. I'd risk it all for him too.

"I don't think so, but either way. They were together the other day, and probably are right now."

"Whatever they have isn't gonna go far."

"I sure hope not." I scoff. Was I selfish for feeling this way? Honestly, I have no clue how to navigate my feelings for Christian. One second it excited me, and scared me the next.

"Don't you think it's too soon to be even liking someone new? I mean, it's only been three weeks and I don't-"

"Elle!" Camila interrupts me, and puts her finger over my lips. "Christian was the last person you expected to fall for, correct?" She doesn't move her finger, so I nod.

"Well I just think that goes to show how genuine your feelings are. It's not like you've forced yourself to like him as a distraction. Healing has no time frame, babe. If you feel ready to move on, let yourself."

Her words make a lot of sense and I'm filled with relief. This was the last predicament I'd ever expect to be in.

"I'm also scared to get hurt again," I silently admit. "I tried my best with Hunter and it still wasn't enough."

"You ever think maybe you're not the problem?" Camila raises an eyebrow.

To answer that question, no. In my mind I was always the problem. I was always lacking in some area, and responsible for something going wrong. I need to give myself more credit.

"It's a possibility that you may get hurt again, but it's also a possibility that moving on, and falling for Christian is the best thing that has ever happened to you. You at least owe yourself a chance."

She was right. I know I deserve every good thing this life has to offer, but in order to get there, I'd have to let them in.

"You're right, I love you" I say.