The Deal

Three days into his mandatory vacation and Joey can feel loneliness eating away at his heart. He gets up from his couch and grabs another beer. He has put himself into a drunken stupor to try to push away his feelings. This only makes him want someone, anyone, even more.

He remembers the rituals he looked up not too long ago. He grabs the notes he took on them and smirks.

"Easy peasy," Joey grunts. He gets some candles and a drawing utensil. He draws the necessary symbols and lights candles and puts them in their place.

Joey throws the ingredients he needs into a large bowl. He gulps when he gets to the last ingredient. He sliced his palm and lets his blood flow into the bowl. Finally he says a Latin incantation as he lights the contents of the bowl on fire with a match.

When he finishes his incantation the room drops 30 degrees. He can see his breath going out of his mouth.

"You called?" A voice rumbles behind him. Joey stands and turns abruptly. A man leans in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room. His sandy brown hair is spiked up. His eyes are a nice blue color.

"I-I wanna make a deal," Joey slurs slightly.

"No introduction?" The man raises an eyebrow.

"Right sorry," Joey sticks his hand out and steps closer. "Name's Joey Williams."

"Howdy, Joey. I'm called by many things, for now just call me Satan." Satan grasps Joey's hand firmly and pumps it once. "Now, what were you saying about a deal?" Satan walks past Joey and plops down on the couch. Joey stares at him in puzzlement.

"I want a friend," Joey says softly.

"Say that again a little louder," Satan gives Joey an amused smile.

"I said I want a friend," Joey says louder. "I'm tired of being alone. I have no family and no friends. That's all I want is a friend. A good friend who will stick with me through thick and thin." Joey sighs.

"You do realize if you make this deal, I'm going to have to collect your soul in ten years, right?" Satan leans forward, his interest piqued by Joey's request.

"I aware. It would be the best ten years of my life." Joey murmurs. Satan can see how lonely he is by the look in his eyes.

"Okay, fine, I'll do it." Satan stands.

"Really? You're gonna make the deal?" Joey asks excitedly.

"Even better," Satan smiles. "I'm gonna be your friend."

"Seriously? Why would you wanna be friends with me?" Joey doesn't mean to sound inconsiderate, he's merely curious.

"Well, mostly because I have nothing better to do. Plus if you're gonna have a friend, might as well have the best. So do we have a deal?" Lucifer holds out his hand.

"Absolutely," Joey shakes his hand.

"Great! First thing's first, call me Lucifer, Satan is my formal name." Lucifer says.

"Uh, okay, Lucifer." Joey gives him a half smile.

"You look like crap so I'd get some sleep if I were you. I have some things to work out so see ya tomorrow." Lucifer waves and disappears.

Joey stands there blinking a few times.

"What just happened?" Joey mutters to himself.