Break Through

"Aha!" Lucifer exclaims. Veronica whips her head up and stares hopefully at him. Joey now only has a month and she's desperate for an answer.

"We can't break the contract," he starts.

"No duh Sherlock," Veronica scoffs. "Did you figure that out all on your own."

"Shush," Lucifer rolls his eyes. "We can't break it, but we can change the terms of it." He explains.

"What?" Veronica stares at him dumbfounded. "That is so simple, why didn't we think of this before?" Lucifer shrugs.

"Well come on let's change it!" Veronica starts bouncing excitedly.

"Listen, he's still gonna have to die and he's still going to hell." Lucifer says softly.

"I understand, but he doesn't need to suffer." She types something into her computer and shows him. Lucifer nods.

"Great idea, that could work." They go to work on revising the contract.
* * *

Veronica and Joey are laying in his bed, wrapped around each other, stark naked. She is full of happiness. They successfully changed his contract. They decided they were keep it a surprise.

"What's on your mind?" Joey asks, noting her distracted look.

"Nothing," Veronica responds, smiling softly at him. "I'm just thinking about how much I love you." She kisses his lips. He entwines his fingers with hers.

"How did I get so lucky?" He presses a kiss on the back of her hand.

"You made the right deal at the right time." Veronica lays her head on his bare chest.

"Very true." Joey strokes her hair. He sighs softly.

"What's the matter?" Veronica looks up at him.

"I'm scared," he murmurs. "I have a month left. What's gonna happen to me?"

"Shh, everything will be fine." Veronica reassures.

"How do you know?" Joey asks.

"I just do baby, trust me." Veronica soothes.

"I do trust you," Joey strokes her hair. His hand starts to slow until it stops completely. He has fallen asleep. Veronica listens to his heart as it beats softly in his chest.