In a New York Minute

A/N: TRIGGER WARNING/SPOILER: This chapter contains a mugging at gunpoint. I will do my best to put a few asterisks before and after it happens in case you'd like to skip over it. Please be aware, you will see the emotional aftermath even if you skip. Happy Reading!
________________________

Charlie was antsy. Since initially cancelling his plans to go to LA, he had booked and rebooked flights twice. The first time, Nicole had informed Charlie the cousins were in town and, as you sadly learned after hearing them argue over the phone, they took priority.

Sometimes it amazed you how Nicole disregarded Charlie as a person. You often wondered if it was some unspoken payback for the way their marriage ended. Regardless, he didn't deserve it. Even though you two had your share of tiffs and Charlie had his moments, you could never understand why she chose to throw it all away.

The second time rebooking his flight has been more successful. Charlie had offered for you to go with him, but seeing as it was for Henry's spring break, you didn't want to impose. Another time, you told him.

Thinking about Charlie being gone for a full two weeks was almost unfathomable. He reassured you that calling and texting would in no way disturb him, but despite his words, you knew you'd only respond if he reached out first. His time with Henry was so precious, you'd never dream of interrupting their time together.

You weren't able to be with him when he left for the airport and it weighed heavy on your heart. It had been a full two days since you had even given him a hug. Oh, how love was a funny thing.

Charlie had promised to text as soon as he landed and, a man of his word, he did.

Charlie: Made it here in one piece. Can't say the same for my luggage. I'll let you know once I find it. ;)

Jules had noticed a change in your mood at work. "You good?" She asked, sitting a cup of coffee down on your desk.
"Yeah, I'm fine why?"
She took a sip from her mug. "No reason...You've just been making eyes at that photo on your desk all day."

You picked up the small framed photo, a gift from Jules no less. It was the photo of you and Charlie staring lovingly at one another from the premiere.

"When will he be back?"
"Two weeks," you said, sitting it back down.
"That's not that long."
"I know."
She chuckled. "You gonna make it?"
You gave her a playful glare. "Yes."
"Good...because I need your help with this popsicle sketch."

—————
Day after day went by and you did your best not to text Charlie first. It was no surprise at all that he took notice.

Charlie: Did I do something?

You picked up the phone from your bed.
You: No, why?
Almost instantly your phone lit up again. He was waiting for you to reply.

Charlie: You haven't called and I miss you. I wanted to make sure we were okay.

You changed positions and typed up a response.
You: I don't want to take away from your time with Henry.

Charlie: You aren't. He asked about you by the way.

You: He did? :)

Charlie: Yeah. And Nicole told me to thank you for the dinosaur cookie basket you sent. It was very sweet of you. You didn't have to do that.