It's Nice to Meet You

Your footsteps hitting the pavement felt heavier. Maybe it was the bouquet. You should have left it at the office, but it had brought enough attention to you for one day so you decided to bring it home with you.

With every changing light, you crossed the street, growing closer. There it was. 44th street. You could still turn around or hail a cab. There was still time.

You took a deep breath and walked on. As you grew near, you could see the crew outside. They were changing the marquee and putting up the new signage for Charlie's show.

You stopped there on the sidewalk to take it all in. Just then a trio walked out of the front doors of the theatre. They were all laughing, saying their goodbyes for the day, two of them walking off together. One man turned around and carefully stepped off the sidewalk to see the marquee. He took a photo and went to move around to get a different angle. In your gut you knew. That was him. That was Charlie. He started to turn your way and you instinctually turned around. You were still unsure why.

Your back was to him. You were fighting with yourself. You wanted to see him. That's why you walked all that way. Your phone began vibrating in your purse and knew you had to get out of there. It stopped as quickly as it began and then you heard it.

"Hey, I haven't heard from you since earlier and to be frank, I really don't know if that's for a reason. I know you're probably fine, but can you let me know you made it home please?"

He was leaving a voicemail for you. You could feel the tears beginning to sting your eyes.  His voice grew faint behind you as you moved away.

"And, i-if I somehow fucked up today by doing what I did...we can just pretend I never sent them, alright?"

——

You closed the door to your apartment, consumed by the overwhelming urge to sink down into the floor. Why did you chicken out?

You crossed over to the sink to put your flowers in water and placed them on the counter. You didn't want to make Charlie wait, but you also didn't want to call him. What if he saw you? You panicked. What if he saw you and watched you walking away from him?

As you collapsed on the couch, you swung your purse up over your body and put it on the cushion next to you. Your phone started buzzing in the front pocket.

You leaned over to pull it out, already knowing who it was.

"Hello?"

"Oh. You're alive. Well, that's good to know." His voice was a little more sarcastic than you had hoped.

"Hello to you too?"

He said your name. "I'm just going to cut to the chase. Are you avoiding me? Or am I being paranoid? Because if I'm being paranoid, then this is deeply embarrassing, but if I'm not and I'm right and you are avoiding me—"  he sighed. "Will you at least tell me why?"

"Charlie, what are you talking about? I'm not avoiding you."

He was more insistent.

"Well, did you get them?"

"I did."

"You did." He said flatly. "And? Did you like them? Did you laugh? Throw them out? What?"

"They're very pretty, I'm just not sure why you sent them." You sounded ambivalent. You could feel the bile beginning to rise. Your nerves were off the charts.