Epilogue

Six months later

"End of game. Eastside High wins!"

As those words are announced through the speakers, loud cheering erupts. We did it. The soccer team won the championship, and it was my goal that made us win. I did it.

The girls of my team all rush towards me, hugging me and patting me on my shoulders congratulating me, as an enormous smile makes its way to my mouth. I can't believe I ever stopped playing soccer. This is the best feeling ever.

Coach Bowen runs on the field as well. "You did it, kiddo! That goal was astronomical!" he shouted excitedly, giving me a high-five.

"All thanks to you, Coach." I laugh.

As much as I love my teammates and coach, I can't help breaking free from their hugs and running towards the sideline, where Dad, Paige and Zach are standing and cheering for me.

Paige runs towards me, as she hugs me tightly. "You did it!" she yelled excitedly, as we jump around each other in a little circle. "I knew your team was gonna win. I just knew it."

"Well, looks like your trust in us really made us win." I laugh, and then see Dad as well, looking at me with a proud, soft smile, as he makes an enormous bouquet of flowers appear from behind his back.

"Congratulations on winning, little one." Dad grinned, handing me the flowers.

"Those are absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much, Dad," I exclaim as I take the bouquet out of his hands. "But how did you get these so fast?"

"Bought them beforehand, and put them in my car. I knew you were gonna win." He shrugged, a corner of his mouth lifted, his eyes full of light. The last months have changed him, and therapy little by little gave me back my dad. He never misses a game, always brings me to and picks me up from school, and is there every important step I take. He's happy again, and that makes me happy. So happy.

Then I see Zach, his arms crossed with a huge smile on his face. I quickly hand the flowers to Paige and run towards him.

I throw myself in his arms, as he picks me up and spins me around. "You did it, baby!" he exclaimed, his eyes looking proudly at me, putting a soft kiss on my forehead.

"This was all because of you," I whisper as I dig my nose into his neck. "Without you I would've never started playing again."

"Nonsense. It was you who made that killer goal, saving the whole game." The corners of his mouth curled up. "You absolutely crushed it."

Paige and Dad join us. "Yeah, you were amazing, Harley." Paige smiled, handing me back the flowers.

"Thank you all for coming." I grin.

"We wouldn't have missed it," they say in unison, creating laughter. Here I'm standing, surrounded by the only people who matter in the world. At least, in my world. I don't know what I'd do without them.

"Hey, let's all have dinner in town, to celebrate," Dad proposed. "My daughter's soccer team winning the championship doesn't happen every day, right?"

"I'm sure it won't be the last time, she's too talented to do otherwise," Zach claimed smiling, standing behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and putting a kiss on my cheek.

"Sounds like a wonderful idea, Dad. Although I first have to do a little something. Can I meet you guys there?" I ask.

"Of course," Dad said with a smile.

There was one certain person who was missing at the sideline. And I have to thank her, because it's because of that person we won.

Time skip

As I make my way to the gravestones, on my way to Mom's, I softly smile. The cemetery has weirdly brought me a lot of comfort these past months. I often come here, to Mom's grave, to talk to her, like she's my diary. I know she listens, and I know she can hear me.

As I arrive at Mom's grave, I softly put the bouquet of flowers I'm holding in my hands on her gravestone. "We did it, Mom. We won the game," I whisper.

Softly I drop down to my knees. "Thank you, Mom. I know it was because of you we won. You're my guardian angel, right?"

I pause for a moment, smiling. "I'm happy, Mom. I have paige, who's the best friend I could've ever had. I have Dad, who's finally at peace with himself again. And I have Zach. He entered my heart, Mom, even after I locked it, and I don't think he's ever gonna leave again. I'm happy, Mom. So happy."

A tear rolls down my cheek. "But I do wish you were here. Right beside me." I stay quiet for a moment. "I love you, Mom. I love you so much."

Love. I was so scared of it, and promised myself I was never gonna let it back into my life. But then Zach came, and I fell. I fell for him, I fell in love, and boy, that was scary. But looking back now, it was all worth it. Because I can't imagine spending another day without him anymore. And I don't plan on doing that, for the rest of my life.

THE END