Chapter Eight: You don't have to do this alone

"I have to say, you really outdid yourself today, Harley." Paige hands me a black beanie. "I didn't expect you to stand up to him the way you did."

Paige and I are at her place, looking for some dark clothes to wear for me tonight. Zach told me I had to look as invisible and discrete as possible, just in case we get caught and have to run. Which I don't even wanna think about.

"You and Zach were right," I shrug, laying on her bed with my feet dangling in the air. "I had to do something, Jonah can't think I'm just leaving it at this. I wanna play with his head, make him miserable."

"I think you did great. I mean, he acted self-assured at first, but looked frightened in the end." Paige digs out her closet to find something black. I wasn't feeling going to my house, so I was glad Paige suggested looking for clothes at her place.

"I wouldn't say he looked frightened," I laugh. "But he definitely seemed a little wary. And that's exactly what we want."

"I wanna say I'm sorry for him, because of what's about to come his way, but I'm really not. That jerk deserves everything that will happen to him." Paige pulls out a black hoodie from her closet and hands it to me.

"I can't believe I ever thought that guy was somewhat decent." I shake my head in disbelief. "And I still don't understand why he did it."

"Yeah, I don't either. I didn't think he was that much in love with you, otherwise I would've warned you."

"I think it's just because his ego is cranked, because I rejected him. I can't think of another explanation." I shrug, and put the hoodie on.

"I guess." Paige sits down on her bed as well. "But still, that gives him no right to treat you like this."

"I wonder what he did to Zach to make him so pissed. It has to be a pretty big deal, since he's willing to plan revenge with two girls he doesn't know at all." I start thinking, but can't figure out any explanation.

"That's what I was thinking as well. I mean, they didn't go to the same school, didn't play in the same football team, so where would they know each other from? It's a mystery." Paige's eyebrows furrowed.

"And the fact he doesn't wanna talk about it, makes it even more suspicious. Do you think we can trust him?" I start doubting.

"I think it doesn't matter if we trust him or not. What matters is that we want the same thing as him, have the same goal. We need an ally, Harley. We can't do this on our own," Paige claimed.

"But what if he gets us in trouble?"

"Then we'll take him down with us. We won't get screwed over, I'll make sure of that." Paige sounded determined.

"I guess. I still don't know if this is a good idea, Paige. I have a bad feeling, and I don't know why," I whisper.

"Don't let your doubts stop you, Harley. Listen to me. Jonah leaked your personal moments for the whole school and internet to see them, called you a slut multiple times, and kicked you out of his car in the middle of the night. How does that make you feel?" Paige asked fiercely.

Thinking back to everything Paige's saying, my blood starts boiling. "Angry. Really angry."

"And do you think he should just get away with what he did, without any consequences, when you suffered so much because of his actions?" She asked again.

"Absolutely not. He needs to pay." I clench my fists.

"Then you have to do this. You have to get revenge.," Paige concluded.

"You're right." I sigh. "But I'm scared. Scared of what he's capable of."

"And that's okay, But it can't stop you. you have me by your side, and Zach, whether we can trust him or not. You don't have to do this alone, Harley." Paige takes my hand to give it a little squeeze.

"I know. Thank you for that." I smile softly, putting my arms around her.

I hear her smiling. "That's what a best friend is for. To fight your battles, or at least fight by your side."

As long as I have her, it'll be alright. No matter what comes next.