X. This Is My Favorite Dress

Alec

"Slept at Emilia's place?" Izzy glances away from the map she was looking at, as I entered the Institute.

"More like her car, and not much," I walked past her.

"Her car, huh?" she teased, and I stopped to turn and look at her.

"It was a long drive from New Orleans and we talked," I said. "That's all."

"Really?" she asked, raising a brow.

"What?" I replied.

"Nothing," she shrugged, and walked towards me. "I believe you."

"Okay, so we went out for a drink, and she took me to a party," I admitted. "But I'm telling you, nothing else happened."

"When you're ready to talk about whatever you need to talk about, I'm here," she said.

"Hey, I talk to you," I replied.

"About everything but your personal life," she said. "You know, and it's kind of not fair, because I talk to you about mine all the time. For example, I broke up with Meliorn."

"Really?" I asked. "Turning over a new leaf?"

She sighed. "He was a bit much. Apparently, I need someone more Shadowhunter-ish."

"Izzy, I realize that you're trying to take some of the family heat, and I appreciate it, but you can't change who you are," I told her.

"Really?" she asked, following behind me, as I walked away. "And you can?"

"I know who I am," I said. "I'm a guy who's about to be disowned when dad finds out that Jace and Clary are still out doing God knows what."

"I think dad's used to that by now," she replied, and I stopped and looked at her. "This is Jace you're talking about."

"He said he'd be an hour. It's been three."

"You don't think he and Clary are..."

"At a time like this?" I cut her off. "Not possible."

I walked away from her and headed to my room, when my phone dinged.

I took it out of my pocket as I closed my door, and looked at the screen.

Emilia: I guess it's back to your world today, arrow. What are we doing today?

I chuckled, and quickly typed a reply, before tossing my phone onto my bed, so I could change.

Alec: I didn't realize we had to do everything together.

I watched the three dots appear, as I pulled on another shirt, and grabbed the phone from my bed.

Emilia: Oh, don't pout. You know you love having me around.

I rolled my eyes at the message and replied, while I walked over to my closet to grab another jacket.

Alec: You wish.

I slipped on my jacket, as she texted back.

Emilia: If that's your attempt at hurting my ego, it's not gonna work. I already know I'm a joy to have around.

I shook my head—even over text she sounds like herself—when Izzy bust through my door.

"Good, you're dressed," she said, looking at me. "We gotta go."

"Where?" I asked her.

"Clary knows where the Mortal Cup is," she said. "Jace just called. It's at the police department, the eighty-ninth precinct. Let's go."