XIX. One Day

Alec

Izzy pulled the covers back on Emilia's bed, and I laid her down carefully, before pulling the covers back over her small frame, and sitting down at her bedside.

I bring up my hand to caress her cheek with my thumb, pushing hair out of her eyes and behind her ear.

I should've gone with her even when she didn't want me to.

"Alec, she's going to be okay," I look up at Izzy, who looked at me reassuringly.

"She's right," I shifted my eyes to Katherine, who stood on the opposite of the bed, with her arms crossed. "Millie's a survivor," she sat down in the empty space beside Emilia, and glanced at her, looking like she had just realized something. "Like me. She'll pull through."

"What if she doesn't?" I asked, briefly looking at Emilia for a second. "We don't know what Wes did to her. What if he—"

"Alec..." Izzy placed her hands on either of my shoulders, and sat down beside me. "You can't think like that."

I turned my attention to her, and shook my head. "I should've gone with her. If I did maybe—"

"It's not your fault," Izzy cut me off.

"It doesn't feel like that," I looked back at Emilia, unconscious, and gently took one of her hands in mine, while Katherine ran a hand through her blonde hair. "The whole reason she came back to Mystic Falls was because of the wedding, and if I just had the guts to cancel it earlier, and told her how I felt, maybe she—"

"She still would've come back here," Katherine looked at me. "Whether your wedding was happening or not. It's just who she is. And she's going to wake up." she paused, and let out a small sigh. "But she'll need a blood bag once she does. I know where they are. I'll go get one."

She stood up from the bed, and walked around to leave the room, leaving Izzy and I alone.

"Katherine's right," Izzy said. "You can't blame yourself for this. And Emilia wouldn't want you to, either. There's nothing different you could've done to prevent what happened."

I sighed, and looked down, caressing the top of Emilia's hand with my thumb. She wore two gold rings: one on her index finger with the letter "E" on it, and another on her ring finger with the letter "M" on it. There was also a gold bracelet on her wrist with words engraved into it.

"Always and forever," I mouthed, running a finger across the engraving, when a series of thuds came from somewhere else in the house.

I exchanged glances with Izzy, before she stood up suddenly. "Katherine?" she called, as she quickly left the room.

"Alec!" I snapped my head towards the door, when I heard Izzy shout my name, and glanced at Emilia, before standing up and walking out of the room.

I approached the staircase and quickly ran down it, when I saw Izzy at the bottom crouching down beside an unconscious Katherine.

"What happened?" I asked, the same time Stefan called out her name. "Izzy?"

He, Damon, and Elena came running up to us, and Izzy glanced up at him. "Stefan."

"What happened to her?" Elena asked, looking down at her doppelgänger.

"I don't know," Izzy shook her head, and turned her attention back to Katherine. "She was just fine a second ago. I think she fell down the stairs. We should take her to the hospital."

I glanced up the stairs, where Emilia currently laid in her bedroom, motionless and alone. I shifted my eyes between Izzy and Katherine, and shook my head. "I can't leave Emilia."