XVIII. Where's Emilia

Alec

"Stefan seems awfully fond of her," Katherine said, looking back at Izzy and Stefan playing pool at the other end of the bar, laughing and talking. "What was her name again? Ivy?" she turned her attention back to me.

"Izzy," I corrected her. "And yeah, she's fond of him too. They've been spending a lot of time together lately."

"And here I was thinking he'd end up with someone who looks exactly like me," she downed another shot. "But I guess now I'm not even getting that. God, the universe is a bitch."

"What?" I furrowed my brows at her.

"Forget it," she shook her head. "Talk to me. What'd you do to piss off Saint Emilia?"

I sighed, and took a second to consider it in my head. Talking to her can't possibly make it worse, right?

"I proposed to someone else," I said, causing her to choke on shot she was drinking.

"You what?" she asked.

"I proposed to someone else," I repeated.

"While she had feelings for you?" she asked, and I nodded. "Huh," she set her shot glass down, and looked at me. "No wonder she hates you."

"I wouldn't say she hates me," I said.

"Believe me, she does, because she doesn't at all," she replied, taking another shot.

"That makes no sense," I furrowed my brows at her and shook my head.

I should've known better than to listen to a girl I don't know.

"Oh, but it does," she said. "When emotions are involved, lines get blurred, and it's a fine line between love and hate."

"What does that even mean?" I asked.

"It means that whatever anger or resentment Emilia may feel towards you right now... it's temporary," she refilled her shot glasses, and looked at me.

"How are you so sure of that?"

"Because I know her," she said. "Trust me, we may not be as close as we used to be, but I know that girl like the back of my hand. That's what spending a long time together does for you."

"And how long have you known her, exactly?" I asked.

"I met her when she was nine," she replied.

"You knew Emilia before she was a vampire?"

"Uh-huh," she nodded, and took another shot. "I was the only female role model in her life, and she listened to everything I said."

"What'd you tell her?" I asked.

"A lot of things," she shrugged. "But mainly to always look out for herself."

I shook my head. "But Emilia's not like that. She looks out for everyone."

"I know," she said. "She's a lot more selfless than I am, but there is one way she's always looked out for herself."

I furrowed my brows at her, and waited for her to continue.

"You don't know what I'm getting at, do you?" she asked.

"Not really," I said.

"Okay, let me put it this way," she crossed her arms on the table, and leaned forward. "Has there ever been a time that Emilia's ever mentioned any guy or girl to you?"

"No one but her siblings," I shook my head.

"Exactly," she nodded. "Because there is no one else."