XXVI. Is This Your First Time?

Emilia

I hear a loud thud against the wall, and walk into Alec's bedroom with Magnus, only to find Stefan's hand around Raj's neck, pinning him up against the wall.

"Stefan," he turns his head at the sound of my voice, and drops Raj to the ground, gasping for air.

"Look man, I'm just doing my job," Raj looks between us. "If you can't help him, then you need to-"

"Shut up, Raj," I cut him off, and throw him a glare.

He dusts himself off and stands up. "I have direct orders, Emilia. Aldertree said-"

"And who would you rather piss off?" I ask him. "Aldertree or me?" I let my eyes glow gold, light veins forming under my eyes.

Raj puts his hands up in surrender, and slowly backs away towards the door. "Forget I was here."

I sigh, and turn my attention to an unconscious Alec lying on his bed, muttering incoherent words. I rush to his side, and gently run a hand through his hair, as Magnus holds out his hands above him. A blue hue surrounds Alec, and I look at Magnus.

"Can you help him?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, Emilia," he shook his head. "Parabatai bonds are like a tether that binds two souls. Jace and Alec share emotions, instincts, strength. It's an angelic bond. My magic can only do so much."

"What if you harness my magic too?" I suggested, glancing between him and Alec. "I mean, you've done it before, right? When that werewolf alpha needed to be saved? Maybe it works the same way."

"It's worth a try, but we can't do it here," he told me. "Runic power is deep. It requires magic that can't be accessed in the walls of this institute."

"Then, we'll move him to my apartment," I said, looking between him and Stefan. "We'll do anything," I look at Alec again. "I can't lose him."

"Hey, Stef, why did I just see Ra-" Izzy walks into the room, and stops when she sees me. Her face lights up immediately. "Millie, you're here."

"Hey, Iz," I offer her a small smile.

"What's going on?" she asked, shifting her eyes between me, Alec, and Magnus.

"Magnus is trying to reach him, but he's slipping away," I explained in a nutshell. "We need to get him out of here."

"I know, I just talked to Aldertree," she said. "He's only keeping Alec here to use him as bait to get to Jace. That's why he put Raj by the door. But now that Raj has run off—thanks to you, I'm sure—we can portal him out."

"Do you think he's strong enough to be portaled?" I glanced down at Alec, and looked at Izzy.

She let out a sigh in defeat and shrugged. "I'm not sure of anything, but we don't really have any other choice, Mil."

"Then let's do it," I tilt my head towards Magnus. "Magnus?"

"Anything for you, buttercup," Magnus laid his magic off Alec, and opened up a portal to my apartment.

With Stefan's help, we were able to get Alec through the portal and move him to the couch in my living room. I stayed by his side, as Magnus held onto my hand and got back to work, using our combined power to try and stabilize him. Izzy and Stefan stood over us.

"Jace, I..." Alec mumbled, and I looked at Magnus.

"If the parabatai bond ties them together, does that mean Jace is like this too?" I asked.

"Not necessarily," Magnus shook his head. "It appears that when Alec called out to him, part of his soul never returned. Now he's stuck, lost somewhere between himself and his parabatai."