XX. Thank You

Alec

"I got the peonies you wanted," Izzy came into the room, as I pulled my jacket on in front of the mirror. "And I made sure no one saw them."

"Great, thanks," I glanced back at her with a smile, and fixed my collar.

"What are they for, anyway?" she asked, setting the flowers down on the bedside table and taking a seat on the bed.

I looked at her. "They're for Emilia."

"Wow," she smiled. "Flowers, breakfast in bed, and you're taking her out today? Who are you and what have you done with my big brother?"

I scoffed. "Very funny. Do you think this looks okay?" I tugged on the sides of my open jacket.

"Did you really just ask me that?" she asked, furrowing her brows.

"Look, Katherine and Damon both said this would be Emilia's first relationship, and it's mine too, alright? So I just... I want everything to go well," I said.

"And it will," she stood up from the bed, and walked towards me. "Emilia likes you, and you like her too. What you're wearing is not going to change that."

"So it doesn't look okay?" I asked, shaking my head. "Ugh, I knew I should've—"

"Alec, calm down," she cut me off, and placed her hands on my shoulders. I looked at her. "You look great. Just... Um..." she unbuttoned a button on my shirt, re-did the collar, and fixed my hair. "There."

I sighed in relief. "Thank you. What would I do without you?"

"Probably freak out twenty-four seven," she said, and we shared a laugh. "Where are you taking her anyway?"

"Well, when I drove to Whitmore the other night, when you and Stefan told me Millie was there, I drove past this pier with a lake, and since Damon said there was some meteor shower happening tonight, I figured I'd take her there for a picnic so we can talk and then watch the shower tonight," I told her.

"Alec..." she smiled. "That's so romantic."

"You think so?" I asked. "Cause I thought it was too simple, but there's nothi—"

"Stop," she cut me off, and I looked at her. "Emilia is going to like what you have planned because she's going to be with you, okay?"

"I just don't want anything to go wrong," I said. "It's our first date, and I already screwed things up between us before. Today just needs to be perfect."

"And it will be," she assured me. "Believe that."

I let out a sigh, and nodded.

A wide smile made its way onto her face. "I can't believe you're going on your first date!"

"Ca-can you not do that?" I said, motioning to her with my hand.

"Do what?" she asked, blinking.

"Make me feel like I'm a child learning to walk for the first time," I said.

"Okay, okay," she put her hands up in mock surrender. "I'm sorry. I'll dial it down. I'm just... really happy you're finally letting someone break your walls down."

"Yeah," I smiled in agreement. "What about you?"

"What about me?" she asked.

"Stefan?" I replied.

"We're just friends," she said, shrugging.

I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Alright, so I may enjoy his company," she admitted. "He's a good guy..."