XVII. You're... Making Pancakes

Alec

"Do you think you should be drinking that much?" I asked, walking up to Emilia who was sitting at the bottom of a staircase with a half-empty bottle of bourbon in hand.

She looked up at me, as I leaned against the wooden railing. "Do you think you should be following me like you are?"

I chuckled and scoffed, and walked around to sit beside her.

She took a swig of her bottle, and continued to ignore me, while I sighed.

"Is this what we've come to?" I asked, looking at her. "Just acting cold and distant towards one another after all the time we've spent together?"

She chuckled, bitterly, and shook her head. "You did it first."

I grabbed the bottle from her after she took another drink, and she finally looked at me.

"Alec, give it back," she said, attempting to reach for it.

"No," I held it further away from her. "Not until you tell me what I can do to fix this."

"Fix what? Us?" she looked away from me and scoffed. "Good luck with that."

She leaned her head against her hand, and stared off at the college students drinking and dancing to the music.

I sighed, and looked at the back of her head—hoping to the Angel she was listening. "Emilia, I made a mistake," I said. "I was a coward and I walked away from you when I shouldn't have, and I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?" she asked, turning her head again to face me.

"I am," I said. "More than you'll know."

"Well, I hate to break it to you, Alec," she replied. "But apologies don't fix anything. Elena's said 'sorry', but that didn't bring Kol back to life..." she shook her head. "And your sorry's not going to mend the heart you broke." she didn't give me a chance to say anything else, before she stood up and disappeared into the crowd.

I watched as she did, and sighed, before taking a drink from the bottle I took away from her. I'd never seen her that way before. Sure, she was a bit cold when I first went to talk to her about Izzy's trial after she got back from New Orleans, but even then she gave me the time of day. She even admitted to feeling some type of way about me. But now, it just seems like she's given up on the mere idea of the two of us ever being anything, and I can't blame her—I gave on up on us first.

But that's going to change. She's already put her heart on the line for me, and now it's my turn.

I'm going to fight for us and I'm going to win her back. No matter how long it takes.

***

"Emilia?" I asked, when I saw her at the end of the hall, looking around, and carrying her heels in her hand.

"Alec!" she exclaimed, walking towards me.

I met her halfway, and caught her in my arms, when she stumbled forward.

"Woah," I said, as she began laughing. "Are you okay?"

"Just peachy," she smiled, nodding.

I narrowed my eyes at her, as I stood her upright. "Are you drunk?"

"No," she shook her head, looking up at me. "But..." she pointed her finger at me. "I did want to tell you something."

"You... did?" I asked.

"Uh-huh," she nodded. "I... uh... wanted to tell you that..." she furrowed her eyebrows, as I waited for her to continue.

"Tell me what?" I asked.