XXI. It's Kind Of A Long Story

Alec

Izzy smiled at me brightly, as she and Stefan joined us in the parlor with a new bottle of bourbon and a few more shot glasses, when she spotted me sitting on the couch next to Rebekah.

"Big brother, you're back," she swiftly set the bottle down on the glass coffee table, and walked over to sit beside Rebekah on the arm of the couch, while Stefan came over to stand beside her. "How was your date?"

I looked at her, before glancing at Klaus who spoke up, and placed a hand on my shoulder as he sat down on the other side of me.

"Yes, how was your date with my dear sister?" he smiled from ear to ear as he looked at me, and I gulped.

What kind of situation have I just put myself in?

"Oh, Nik, you're scaring him," Rebekah told him—I'm guessing she noticed me tense up.

"Well, that was the idea, sister," Klaus glanced at her, before looking at me again. "Start talking, mate."

"It was good," I said, trying not to sound intimated.

By the smug look on Klaus's face, I don't think I was very successful in doing so.

"Define good," Caroline chimed in, and looked at me, leaning forward and resting her face on her hands.

"I took her on a picnic, lake side, just outside of town, we watched the sun go down, and then we went for a swim," I explained quickly.

"Well, isn't that romantic," Klaus replied, with a slightly sarcastic tone. "Don't you think so, Elijah?"

I turned my head back as Elijah joined us and walked up behind the couch.

"Niklaus, please," he glanced down at Klaus, before shifting his eyes to me. "If it's any consolation, Alexander, I've never seen Emilia give anyone else the time of day the way she has with you."

"Yes, I'm aware," I told him. "And I don't plan on wasting it."

"Very well," Elijah gave me a small nod. "I'll take your word for it."

"Oh, poppycock," Klaus said, causing us to look at him. "We're all very much aware no one in this lifetime deserves our little wolf. What makes you think this nephilim is the exception?"

"Klaus, it was one date," Caroline looked at him. "I don't think they're planning on getting married any time soon," she turned her head towards me. "Right?"

I looked at her. "I—"

"What are you guys doing?" I sighed in relief when Emilia's voice echoed through the room, and cut me off.

"Millie," I quickly stood up from my spot, and looked at her—we all did—as she approached us.

"Hey, you okay?" she asked me, before shifting her eyes around at everyone else. "What did you guys do?"

Klaus tilted his head up to look at her. "Nothing."

Emilia raised an eyebrow at him. "Nik..."

"We were simply just asking him some questions," he shrugged.

Emilia crossed her arms and tilted her head. "Questions about what?"

"Well, your date, of course," Rebekah smiled up at her. "We heard it was good."

"Was?" Emilia looked at her. "Who said it was over?"

"Is it not?" Rebekah shifted her eyes between us, while Izzy leaned forward with a smile.