XIV. I'm Doing It On My Terms

Alec

"There's no better place to find everything out than being right above everything."

I stood on top of the same building Emilia and I stood on top of two weeks ago, when she first brought me to New Orleans. I utilized my vision rune to try and find her, but it was no use. She wasn't anywhere in the Quarter.

"You're quite bold to show your face around here, mate," I hear a voice and quickly turn around to find Emilia's older brother, Klaus, standing a few feet away from me. "Do you have a death wish?"

"Klaus," I said, trying to remain calm, as he approached me. "I-I just came to talk to Emilia."

"Now, why would I allow that?" he circled around me, and my breath hitched. "You are the bastard that broke her heart."

He stopped in front of me, and I furrowed my brows.

"Broke her heart?" I asked.

"Well, don't tell me you didn't notice, mate," he replied. "She was fairly smitten with you, and Emilia's not one to hide her emotions."

I glanced down, and sighed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—"

Before I could finish, he took grip of my neck, and lifted me off the ground, slightly.

"Let's get one thing clear, mate," he said, tightening his grip on my neck and attempting to cut off my air supply. "Your apologies mean nothing to me."

I struggled to breathe, as he continued.

"You hurt one of the only people on this Earth that matters to me," he said. "That is enough for me to want you dead."

"Leave him," another voice speaks up, and Elijah emerges from the darkness.

"He deserves it," Klaus turned his head to look at him.

"Niklaus, do not make another move," Elijah said, walking towards us, slowly. "If anything happens to that nephilim, and at your hands, nonetheless, Emilia would never forgive you."

Klaus immediately lets me go and drops me on the ground, at the mention of Emilia's name.

I catch my breath, and look at Elijah. "Thank you."

"Do not thank me, Alexander," he fixes his suit, and stands besides Klaus. "I would've killed you myself if it weren't for Emilia's wishes."

Emilia's wishes?

I sighed. "I didn't come to cause any trouble. I just need to talk to Emilia."

"I already told you that wasn't an option, mate," Klaus said.

"Emilia's no longer here," Elijah added.

"But I was told she left New York with Klaus," I replied.

"And she did," Klaus nodded. "We had our fun, and she mended the heart that you broke. I suggest you don't break it again."

I never meant to break her heart, I wanted to say, but I knew better. Klaus would probably have my head before I could even finish that sentence.

"Because something tells me Millie will be less forgiving this time around," he continued. "And will be more than willing to let me have my fun with you."

"Niklaus, please," Elijah glanced at him, before looking at me. "Alexander, if you wish to speak with Emilia, I suggest you head back to New York. She's on her way back there, as we speak."

She's already on her way back to New York? Maybe she's not as angry with me as I thought she was.

***