XV. It's A Promise

Alec

"Hey, you ready?" I let myself into Izzy's room, and found her turned around with her arms crossed, staring into oblivion.

"That depends..." she said, before turning to look at me. "Did you talk to Emilia?"

"I did," I nodded, walking up to her.

"What'd she say?" she asked, hopeful.

"She agreed to do it," I smiled. "She said she'll be here."

She let out a sigh in relief and smiled, before hugging me.

I hugged her back, and we separated after a few seconds.

"You really have faith in her, don't you?" I asked, looking at her.

"Yeah, I do," she nodded. "I think that if there's anyone who's going to be able to get me out of this... it's her."

I gave her a close-lipped smile.

"Did you two talk about anything else?" she asked.

"Uh, no..." I sighed, and sat down at the end of her bed. "She didn't really have anything to say to me... Which is understandable, considering what I did."

I looked down at the ground, and Izzy sat down beside me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, don't think too much of it."

"No?" I asked, looking at her.

"Look, Alec," she started. "I know that it seems like you two are never going to work it out... But trust me when I say that Emilia feels something for you. She may not show it right now because she's hurt over what you did, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Just give her some time."

I let out a soft chuckle. "Yeah," I nodded, and she gave me an encouraging smile. "But you know... Seeing the way she looked at me today made me realized just how differently she used to look at me before, and it really has me thinking whether or not I—"

I'm quickly cut off by Lydia entering the room. "Alec, Isabelle," she said, and we turned our attention to her. "I hate to interrupt, but Madam Inquisitor is asking for you. The trial's starting."

"But Emilia's not here yet," I shook my head at her.

"I'm sorry," she replied. "But... We can't wait on anyone."

"Can't we just wait a few more minutes?" I asked. "I'm sure she'll be here any—"

"Alec, it's fine," Izzy cut me off, and I looked at her. "Emilia said she'll be here, and I believe her." she stood up, and straightened out her dress. "Let's go."

I sighed, but stood up anyway, and followed the two of them out of the room.

"Izzy!" a familiar voice called out her name, as we walked through the Institute, and we both stopped to see who it was.

Emilia came walking up to us with her ponytail swinging, dressed in a red suit and heels, with Stefan following behind her.

"Millie," Izzy met her halfway, and greeted her with a hug.

Emilia returned it.

"You came," Izzy smiled at her, as I walked up to join them.

"You didn't think I'd bail on you, did you?" Emilia asked, as they separated.

"I never doubted you for a second," Izzy shook her head, before shifting her eyes to Stefan. "Hey."

"Hey," Stefan gave her a smile. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Izzy nodded. "I am now. Thank you for coming."

"Well, Millie told me what happened," he said. "Figured you needed all the support you could get."