VII. It's A Wolf

Emilia

"Why'd you run out?" Alec asked, as we came up behind Clary. "And what's the point of an invisibility rune if you don't silence your phone?"

She sighed, and grabbed her phone out of her back pocket.

"That was childish, sneaking out like that," he said.

Clary looked at me. "You sold me out."

"Like you said earlier, you weren't a shadowhunter until a few days ago, I didn't want anything to happen to you." I explained.

"Don't turn this on her, you were the one who snuck out," Alec said in my defense.

Clary ignored his comment and proceeded to answer her phone.

"Simon, hey... I know, I should've called you right back, I'm really sorry." she said. "Are you okay?"

Alec and I stood beside her, exchanging glances, waiting for her to finish the call.

"Yeah, I totally get it," she said, looking at us. "Can we talk later? Things are kind of insane right now."

"I kind of killed a demon and lost all my memories forever so..." she continued. "I'm at the Brooklyn Academy. I'm on my way to—"

"Hang up," Alec cut her off. "That's it, we have to go. Right now."

"No, I'm on my way to the loft," she replied. "There's something there that I think could help me find my mother."

There was a moment of silence.

"I'm fine," she assured whoever she was talking to—a Simon, I think. "I'm with Alec."

"No, Simon, you've been through enough already." she ended the call, and placed her phone into her bag.

"Mundanes," Alec glanced at me. "Look at them. They're gonna play around like ants. Let's go."

He walked away, but stopped and turned around when Clary spoke up.

"Why do you always look so miserable?" she asked.

"I don't," he said.

"You do," she argued.

"He didn't look that miserable when I took him to Mystic Falls," I chimed in, and Alec looked at me.

"See?" he shifted his eyes back to Clary.

"Alright, fine, maybe you don't always look miserable, but we have a real problem to solve, okay?" Clary dropped the subject. "Come with me," she hit the side of Alec's arm lightly, and walked away.

Alec looked at me. "Does she expect me to go along with this?"

"Oh, cut her some slack," I said. "You know you're not going to leave her to fend for herself, come on." I grabbed his arm and began pulling him the direction Clary went—he didn't resist.

"This better be quick."

***

"Hey, you," Clary ran up to a guy—who I'm presuming is the Simon she was on the phone with earlier—and engulfed him in a hug. "Thanks for being here."

Alec and I followed after her.

"You don't need to do this alone. It's not who we are," he said, when they broke the hug. He turned his attention to me.

"Who's this?" he asked.

I held out my hand, and smiled. "Emilia. I'm guessing you're Simon?"

"Uh... Y-yeah," he stuttered, reluctantly shaking my hand. "Simon Lewis."