Chapter 1

I'm woken up by the sunlight filling my room through my window.  I look out the window and notice that the village is sparkling in the sunlight.  Sunlight comes into our underground village through one-sided windows that allow us to see out and the sun to brighten up our village.  This way, our village stays perfectly hidden and we'll know if we're being attacked before the attackers even get the chance to infiltrate our village.

        Anyway, I get out of my bed and go over to my dresser.  I have the day off due to winter break.  Now, my village is perfectly warm year-round, so I don't have to worry about the freezing cold when walking around outside.

        I change out of my pajamas and into my outfit for the day.  I pull on a long-sleeve cold-shoulder jade black midriff.  I pull up a pair of finger-tip length, tighter-fitting jade black shorts.  After that, I slip on a mid-thigh length mauve purple skirt that allows for plenty of movement.  I buckle on my jade black sandals, which have a 1/4-inch heel.  I go across the hallway to my bathroom, brush out my teal hair, and pull it back.

  I go across the hallway to my bathroom, brush out my teal hair, and pull it back

        I finish getting ready in the bathroom.  Once I'm done, I leave my room and walk down a stone hallway to the kitchen.  I enter the kitchen and find Aunt Kiri cooking my siblings and I some breakfast.

        "Morning, Yōsei!" Aunt Kiri greets me.

        "Good morning, Aunt Kiri," I answer, smiling brightly.  "Where's Mom?"

        "She had to go in early today," Aunt Kiri informs me.  "She has some work she needs to finish and a few visitors who she needs to meet with."

        "I see," I nod my head, understanding.

        Oh!  I should probably introduce myself.  I'm Yōsei Tanuki.  I'm the only daughter of Ninfu Tanuki and Inpu Tanuki.  I'm eleven years old and I'm already engaged to Goburin Tanuki.  No, we're not related.  In fact, he's from a different set of the Tanuki Clan.  He's from the Main Branch in the Hidden Valley Village.  He'll be married to me while my cousin Moya will be married to his older brother --- Yutanpo.  This way, I'll become the next Dōkutsukage and Yutanpo will become the next Tanikage.  It also helps keep the peace between our villages and lands.  Although, I do NOT want to marry Goburin.  He's horrible and disgusting.  He treats me like some prize or something.  I'm only eleven for goodness sakes!

        Anyway, that's enough about me.  I should probably tell you about my family.  First, we have my dad --- Inpu Tanuki.  I don't know much about him.  All I know is that he died shortly after I was born.  I also know that he was killed by an enemy ninja from the Hidden Valley Village.  Thus, the Land of Caves --- my homeland --- and the Land of Sun went to war.  Of course, my land, the Land of Caves, won easily after only ten months of fighting.  However, to keep the peace, I have to marry Goburin and Moya has to marry Yutanpo.

        Next, we have my mom!  Ninfu Tanuki, who is the Dōkutsukage.  She's also the twin sister to my aunt Kiri, although, she was born five minutes before Aunt Kiri.  She has knee-length teal hair.  It's silk and perfectly straight.  She always wears it down whenever she's not on missions, which means it's hardly ever pulled back into a ponytail.  She doesn't generally wear the traditional Kage outfit.  In fact, she only ever wears it when she absolutely has to, which isn't very often.  Instead, she wears comfortable clothes or clothes for training.