Chapter 7

I wake up to Moya knocking on my bedroom door.  "Time to get up!" Moya cheerful exclaims.  "You're enrolling in the Academy today!"  I can hear her skipping away from the door and sit up in my bed.  I throw off my covers and change into my winter outfit.  The outfit is the same one I wore yesterday.  Moya does laundry every evening after dinner.  This way our clothes aren't dirty for the next day.

        I brush out my hair in the bathroom and ponder on my hairstyle for the day.  After a couple of minutes, I choose to do my hair in a simple braid.  Moya comes into the bathroom and undoes my braid to braid it herself.  "You look more adorable if you do twin braids," Moya informs me.  I nod my head and smile softly.  "There you go.  You look adorable."

        "Thank you," I inform my older cousin, giving her a hug

        "Thank you," I inform my older cousin, giving her a hug.  "Can I braid your hair?  I think you'll look very pretty with a braid leading back into a high ponytail."

        "You're right!" Moya informs me, nodding her head

        "You're right!" Moya informs me, nodding her head.  "We look adorable!  Picture time?"

        "Not enough time!" I inform her.  "You have to get going to the academy!  And I have to get going to enroll!"

        "You're right!" Moya exclaims.  "Quickly, let's get our shoes on and hurry!"  I nod my head.  The two of us leave the bathroom and pull up our boots before hurrying out of the apartment.  Moya and I walk as fast as we can without running.  When we arrive at the Academy, the first bell to tell everyone to get to class rings.  Moya takes the long way to show me where the office is at.

        I wave goodbye to her and head inside to get registered for the academy.  "How may I help you today?" the lady at the table inquires.

        "I was hoping to enroll in the academy," I inform her.  "I just moved here from the Hidden Caves and my Mom wanted me to sign up for the class my cousin is in."

        "And what is your cousin's name?" the lady inquires.

        "Moya Tanuki," I inform her.

        "And your name?"

        "Yōsei Tanuki."

        "And what village are you from?"

        "Hidden Cave."

        "Your parents?"

        "Ninfu Tanuki and Inpu Tanuki."

        "Status and their jobs?"

        "My mom is alive and the Dōkutsukage of the Hidden Cave.  My dad is dead."

        "Alright.  Did you attend the ninja academy in your old village?"

        "Yes."

        "What were your grades?"

        "I was top of my class."

        "Okay.  What is your age?  When is your birthday?"

        "I am eleven and my birthday is December 23."

        "Okay.  Well, I shall get you registered.  You won't be able to attend for a couple of weeks.  I'd say the earliest you can attend would be March 1st."

         "Alright.  Thank you."

        "It's no problem.  February 28th, you'll be taking an entrance exam to see what you know that your teacher --- Iruka --- has already covered."

        "Sounds good."

        "Great.  We shall see you on February 28th then.  Unless you hear from us that you can attend sooner."

        "Okay.  Have a good day."

        "You too."  I wave goodbye to the lady and head out of the office.  I make my way out of the academy and decide to go for a walk around the Hidden Leaf.

        Hmm,  I think to myself, I think I will go home around lunch and then maybe practice my Anaguma, or I can practice controlling my Yogen-sha.  Either one will be good.  I walk happily around the village, taking in all the beautiful sights that the Hidden Leaf has to offer.  As the sun rises higher in the daylight, so do my spirits.

        I head home shortly before lunch and grab one of the boxed lunches I made last night from the fridge.  I sit on the windowsill of the window that leads to a small balcony with a fire escape.  I sit in the warm sunlight as I eat my lunch, savoring the moment.  I wonder what Moya's doing at school today?  I ponder before smiling.  Oh well, soon I'll be joining her class so that doesn't really matter.

        After I finish my lunch, I go into my bedroom and sit on my bed.  If I can somehow gain control of my Yogen-sha then I won't have to worry about it acting up during a fight or class.  In order to gain control of the Yogen-sha, I have to meditate and try to force the visions to show themselves to me.  Seeing as I just ate, it makes it easier for me to focus on controlling the Yogen-sha.

        After about three hours, I think, I'm able to partially control the Yogen-sha by asking it a question and seeing a vision as an answer.  I can feel something on my forehead and get up to go look in the mirror.  When I look in the mirror, I notice there's a faint outline of a symbol appearing on my forehead.  I gasp slightly and put on a headband to keep it covered.

        "I'm home!" I hear Moya call from the front entryway.

        "Welcome home!" I greet my cousin.

        "How did registration go?"

        "Great!  I'll be starting classes for sure by March 1st!  I take an entrance exam on February 28th, most likely."

        "That's wonderful!"  Moya gives me a big hug and smiles brightly.  "I can't wait for you to join my class!  It's a good thing too, we're missing one person from having a filled class.  Whenever we divide into teams, there's always one less person on one team.  It makes everything unfair.  Especially since Kumo and I are only currently a team of 2 when we do survival exercises with teams of 3."

        "Wow!  That is lucky that I'm joining then!" The two of us laugh and decide to start making dinner.