Chapter 30- Dinner

Jade's POV

True to his word, Mr. Lewis' driver was ready to pick me up from my apartment a half hour after he told me. I had just enough time to change into a pair of comfortable jeggings and a cute, pull-over, hooded sweatshirt. He said to wear what I would be comfortable in, and this was my go-to comfort wear. I walked out of my building and into the car, greeting the driver as he held the back door of the black Range Rover. I was a bit nervous as I did not know what to expect for the evening. Twenty minutes in the car was more than enough time for my brain to come up with numerous theories as to what would happen. When we pulled up to a giant building, all those theories, along with just about every other thought, flew out of my mind.

The driver held the door open for me and led me to the elevator. He punched in the code for the floor and bid me adieu. Alone in the elevator, my mind began to race around again. I had never been to this place before. I did not know what to expect. I had a feeling that this was Mr. Lewis' new home, or relatively new home. I had been to his old home three years ago, when Eva invited me to dinner but after she and the baby died, he moved out of there when he found a new place to live. That was shortly after the night we talked about Eva. He told me that it was time to move out of his office and into a place of his own. I told him, I thought he owned the building that his office was in, to which he laughed. It was a beautiful, deep laugh, one that I had not heard in months, and it was such a good thing to hear.

The elevator doors opening broke my reverie. I peered into a grand entryway with white marble floors. There was a golden chandelier hanging from the ceiling that reflected the light onto the gray walls, making them glow as if in candlelight. As soon as I stepped out of the elevator, I was hit with wonderful smell of food. My stomach began to growl as I breathed in deeply, excitement building on my tastebuds for the food that was being prepared.

I followed the wonderful smell to the kitchen. I found Mr. Lewis in there putting a salad together. He smiled at me and welcomed me in. He told me there was still a few minutes left on the chicken that he prepared and to look around whilst he finished preparing dinner. I asked if he wanted any help, but he just shooed me away. I decided to walk around the giant apartment to keep my mind from wondering too much.

I walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. It was very spacious and open. There was a second level to his apartment, but the ceiling of the living room went all the way up to the rafters of the second floor, exposing the painted metal holding up the roof. I had not realized that this was indeed the very top of the building. I walked over to the wall made almost entirely of windows and looked out. The view took my breath away. I realized that his place was not just a simple apartment, rather it was a penthouse with a view.

Following the wall of windows, I found the stairs. The staircase was simple, yet complex. It was made up of darkly stained wood steps that connected to the glass railing. It looked as though it was just floating in midair. The second floor consisted of an office that had floor to ceiling bookcases, a private balcony with a great view of downtown LA, and an immense bedroom. The bedroom was complete with two walk-in closets and a bathroom that was nearly larger than my whole apartment. It was simply an astounding place.

I made my way back to the kitchen to find Mr. Lewis setting the table.

"You have an amazing place here." I said to him as I walked towards the table.

"Thank you, Jade." He said with a smile. I was a little surprised he called me Jade instead of Ms. Williams, though I had noticed he was doing that a bit more frequently as of late.

"Are you sure you wouldn't like help with anything?" I asked again feeling like I should be doing something to help.

"No Jade. I want you to be able to just sit back and have a nice evening. You have been doing so much for everyone lately, that I thought it would maybe be nice for you to be catered to instead." He said with a smile, taking me a bit by surprise.