Chapter 6- Engagement

Amanda and Casper started dating and never looked back. I knew that they would be great for each other. I saw it a long time ago, and maybe that was part of the reason I liked him. People always thought Amanda and I could be twins. I just secretly wished it would be me with him. However, it was the happiest I had seen them both in a long time, and for that reason alone, I was happy for them. I saw the way they loved each other through the little things that they would do for each other and in the little moments they looked at each other. To me, it looked like a romantic novel had come to life and was playing out in front of my eyes, every day.

By the end of the third year at Adler, Amanda and Casper were inseparable. I was becoming more distant. It was happening little by little that I was hoping they would not notice. I was practically only at the apartment to sleep. I spent most of my free time at the bookstore, even when I was not working. I found peace amongst the books there and a newfound friend in Mrs. Gable. I did most of my studying for finals at the bookstore as well. It was my home away from home now. The place I could seek refuge during the turbulent storms of emotions that popped up with seeing my two best friends in love, with each other. However, I knew that I could not avoid them forever. I was right. A week before graduation, Casper caught me at the coffee shop to talk.

"Hey Jade." He said.

"Hey Casp." I replied softly.

"What's wrong?" He asked, concern laced in his voice. I could not hide it forever and I knew it. My best friends knew me too well for me to hide anything from them. I had to come up with something to tell him, so I went with a half-truth.

"Oh...well. There's this guy that I like and-"I began but was interrupted.

"OOhh. Tell me more." He said.

"Well...." I said giving him a hard look. "This guy that I like started dating someone else. So, I am just feeling a little down, that's all."

"Tell me who it is, and I will knock some sense into him." He said, meaning every word.

"Casp, I can't and won't tell you. If it is meant to be, it will be, but I think he has found his one and it isn't me." I honestly told him. I knew if I lied, he would know, so I told him the truth. Every single word, I said was the truth. I genuinely believed that Casper had indeed found his one in Amanda, not in me. I was not going to step between them, ever, no matter how much it hurt me.

"Jade. You know that can't be true. Any guy would be lucky to have you as his one. I mean it. Any guy. So, if this guy can't see how special you are, then he isn't the one for you."

"Thanks, Casp, you are probably right." I replied, tears on the verge of spilling out over my lower eyelid.

"Jade, please don't cry. You know I can't handle it when my girls cry." Casper said, which caused me to laugh-cry and snot flew out of my nose which was the most embarrassing moment of my life. Casper burst out laughing while my hands covered my face immediately as I ran to the bathroom, which was locked. So, I crumpled down to the floor, trying to make myself as small as possible. Casper followed me after a few moments, hearing my sniffles, with a handful of napkins. I didn't look up at him, so he gave them to me, placing them in my lap.

"Thanks." I mumbled to him.

"It's the least I could do. Of course, I could wish that was caught on camera. Do you have security feed that captured it?" He asked, trying to get something out of me.

"Casper! You know that was the most embarrassing moment of my life and yet you mock me with it. How can you call yourself a best friend when you prey on the hurt in my life?" I asked with sincerity in my voice.