Chapter 3- University, Here We Come

Adler University was the picturesque vision of a university. It was a large campus in the middle of the city, had lots to offer, and was within walking distance of downtown Adler. It had beautiful mature trees coupled with modern style dorms and class buildings. It was a busy place. The students bustling like ants preparing for the winter season. Since I was not a full-time student, I did not stay on campus. Rather, I rented an apartment in town just a few minutes' walk from the edge of campus. It was a cute little apartment with two tiny bedrooms that was upstairs above a bookstore. My parents and I decided to look for an apartment as soon as I decided to attend Adler U part-time. They thought it would be best to look as soon as possible before the other students who were wanting to stay off-campus would be looking. I had hoped that I could find a roommate to stay with me, hoping that Amanda would be that person. I talked it over with Amanda, and she decided to stay on campus her first year to appease her parents' wishes to gain the full college experience. Amanda stayed in a dorm on campus but spent most of her free nights and weekends at my apartment. It was great having her over so much. We loved being able to hang out like we did in high school even though it was a little different.

My apartment was available to move in two weeks before Freshman Orientation weekend, so my parents drove me and my humble belongings the hour-long drive to my new home. I knew that it was a small apartment, so I minimized what I brought with me, not that I had all that much that needed to be brought. I took my clothes and necessities, like my favorite books and computer, but planned on shopping for a bit of the apartment needs. Luckily, my parents bought me kitchen items, including a cute fold-down table and chairs set, as graduation presents, so I did not have to worry about those things. I still needed living room and bedroom furniture, as well as food. I was going to have to learn how to cook more than Macaroni and Cheese.

I decided to put in a few applications around campus first in the job hunt. I figured, if I could get an on campus job, then I would be able to spend more time on campus and be part of it rather than feeling slightly out of place every time I stepped foot there. Unfortunately, the school jobs were already filled for the first semester. I needed to have something right away to pay for my living expenses. I decided to try my luck at the coffee shop on campus. It was not affiliated with Adler U, but was right on the edge of campus and had a nice feeling about it. I also decided to put in an application at the bookstore, since it was right downstairs from my apartment, and I was a bit of a bookworm. Luckily, I was called in by both places for an interview. I was hired by both for parttime positions.

I was trained by Mr. Sullivan, the coffee shop owner, the first day I was there. He was a big, burly, and stern man but had a nice smile and gentle eyes. I was a bit nervous learning about all that goes into making the different drinks and learning from the boss himself, made me more nervous. However, despite my few errors, Mr. Sullivan was able to laugh it off, giving me a genuine smile, and told me that I was a good learner who made less mistakes than most of the people who he taught on their first days. I was beginning to think that Mr. Sullivan was not that scarry of a boss, but I still did not want to cross him. The next day, Missy was my trainer. Mr. Sullivan said that he usually takes the first day of training for the new employees, that way he can see what they are made of and he can get a good feel of whether they will be a good fit in his company. I admired his approach to staying hands-on in his company.

At the bookstore, I was interviewed and hired on the spot. As it turned out, my landlord, was the owner of the bookstore. Mrs. Gable was a gentle older lady. She was soft spoken and had a very grandmotherly presence about her. I told Mrs. Gable, that I was working at the café on campus and that depending on my work and class schedule, I would be able to help in whatever way she needed. She was thrilled. She did not actually need much help at the bookstore other than the heavy lifting of books that arrive on the new shipments. I told her that I was glad to be able to help. She even went as far as offering me a discount in my rent for helping. I told her that it was not necessary, that I would pay the contracted price in the lease. I knew that the rent was already lower so that college students could afford it, and I had already signed the lease, so it was the right thing to do in my mind.

I was so anxious for my new chapter to begin. I had high hopes that something great was going to happen in the next four (or more for me) years. I was so lucky to be able to attend a great school and have my two best friend there with me. I knew this was going to be an experience of a lifetime and I was beyond excited for it to begin. I had my jobs lined up and I had a few classed lined up for the first semester. This was going to be a good year; I could feel it in my entire being.