Chapter 13- One Night

James and I had been dating for almost a year. I loved him and he said he loved me. He never pushed me into doing anything that I did not want to do, and I had all the respect in the world for him because of that. I hoped, desperately, that he was the prince to my fairy tale ending. He seemed perfect.

One night, we sat down to talk about where we saw our relationship heading. We had dinner and then I had a glass of wine and he had a few beers. It was relaxing and going great. We were on the same page. We both wanted a long term, forever relationship, kids in the future but not near future. Everything was going extremely well until the topic of us taking it to the "next step." I had no idea what he was hoping for. He knew I had some very old-fashioned ideas about intimacy and living together before marriage. I knew that he had past relationships that were way more intimate than what we were, but he always seemed to be understanding of my boundaries. However, I was beginning to think that may not be the case anymore.

"Jade, let's move in together." James said.

"James," I said. "You know my feelings on this. I really don't want to live with you until we are married. I know that is maybe old-fashioned, but that is where I stand."

"Come on Jade. I promise you that I wouldn't pressure you into something that you don't want to do. I mean, I haven't once pressured you into having sex with me, have I?"

"Well, no. But you are pressuring me right now to move in together." I replied, maybe a little harshly.

"Jade. Come on. You know that I love you. Why do you not want to live with me? What are you scared of? What is holding you back?"

"That's just it. It's not that I don't want to live with you. I do. I do want to live with you, just not before marriage. The only thing holding me back is my wish to wait for my husband."

"Wow, back to this. You know this is really starting to get on my nerves. I understand that you are nervous to be intimate, but babe, we have been together for almost a year. Don't you think that is long enough to hold off our intimacy?"

"I am so shocked by what I am hearing right now. I really don't know what to say." I reply.

"Say that you will move in with me. Or say that you will do more with me. That you will be mine 100%." James says back to me. He is beginning to slur his words a little. I did not think he had that much to drink, but then I noticed the shot glass on the counter by the sink.

"James, how much have you had to drink?" I asked, beginning to think that may have had something to do with his current line of reasoning.

"Oh, come on. What does it matter how much I have had? Just answer my question." He said slurring nearly every word. I knew he had to have had more than 3 shots to be like this. I just wasn't sure when because we were together all evening. Then I remembered, my sister called to ask a quick, personal question, so I got up to take it in the hallway where there would be little more privacy. He must have done the shots then.

"I think that you are drunk, James. Maybe we should pick this conversation up tomorrow when you have a clear mind... I think I am going to go home now but I love you and I will see you tomorrow. Goodnight James." I say.

I did not want to ruin the fun that we were, or at least that I was having. I wanted to leave before we had a heated argument. I hated confrontation, especially with James. He was supposed to be my prince, the one who would do anything for me and the one I would do anything for. But looking at him at that moment, I just could not see that, so, I grabbed my jacket and went to give him a goodbye kiss. That was when something I will never forget happened.

***************************************
*Trigger warning: this is a scene where there is slight physical altercation. If you do not wish to read this part, please skip ahead to the next "**********". It is not graphic but may be too much or triggering for some readers.*