ARC②:21 - Thank You

ARC : Spring

I opened one the large windows of my room and dragged a desk beside it. It was now lunch time and my room was empty.

There was no school because the district advisers had come in today and told some teachers to hold a mock class sessions. This was to show them our curriculum.

The school was free from teenage disturbance, it was my chance to enjoy the cherry blossoms while eating.

I pull out my lunch box and tea thermostat. I walked over and set myself down for a peaceful break.

Just when I was about to take a bite of my omelet, I hear a knock on the door.

"Can I come in?" He asks politely.

I turn my head from the pretty view and threw a confused look over at the door's direction. The door was open but I didn't really expect anyone to swing by.

"Yamato," I was a little surprised at his sudden visit. "Sure, come in."

He walks in, bento box in hand, closing the door behind him. He walks over and sits across from me.

I look up from my food.

"What?" He throws me a 'do you have a problem?' look.

"Nothing." I laugh at his expression. "I was just thinking that I didn't exactly invite you to join me."

"Hmph. What, are you gonna kick me out?" He smirks.

"Of course not Mr. Kougami." I smile.

Yamato and I had gotten closer over a 3 month period. I'd say the best way to describe it; friendlier, less formal, more teasing? I was glad that most of the formalities were gone. It made things a lot less awkward.

"Are you and Harue coming by to Long Island today?" Yamato asks.

"Yeah. I've been wanting to go and say hi to everyone. It's been several weeks." I had been busy this whole month. Since I had to make an english final and all. I worked with the other english teacher on campus but her accent was really japanized so I didn't trust her with the test. She was fine with it because that meant dumping all the work on me, which in this case didn't really matter to me. I did have it easy ever since I had arrived at the school...

"Do you want to walk home together today?" He follows up.

"Don't we always?" I lift an eyebrow.

"I just wanted to ask. It feels nostalgic." He chuckles. "We met on a day like this huh?"

"Yeah, but instead of cherry blossoms there were warm colored leaves." I recall. "And also, I was the one to go to your classroom, to ask for directions."

"Oh yeah! You were really polite." He points his chopsticks at me. "I remember thinking: 'this girl isn't going to last!'"

"That doesn't even make sense... this is a really easy and fun job." I turn and stick my tongue out. "If it was a challenge I bet I'd last a lot longer than you!"

"Hey!" He laughs even though he's pretending to be angry. "For that, I'm going to take some of your food. Let see.... I'll try some of the chicken and rate your cooking skills." Yamato grabs a piece of chicken from my bento.

"My chicken..." I pout. "You guys come over every week and eat my cooking!"

"Dinner and lunch aren't the same thing."

"Well those were last nights leftovers so..."

"...."

He eats it anyways and his eyes widen. "It's actually pretty good. You're getting better pouty. And it's all thanks to my coaching."