19 - Snow

Yamato P.O.V.

I tied her apron to avoid having her stare at my face. I was certain that the look I had now was pretty embarrassing.

I went from embarrased to mortified when I realized that the back of her dress was open. I'm pretty sure that my hands were cold against her back. I started feeling a bit awkward but she started asking me about Fumiko. I was grateful at her initiated conversation.

When I finish up tying her apron I quickly slip my own on. I feel her stare, but when I look up, her head is turned away. Was I seeing things?

"Okay. Let's get started." I say pushing my thoughts aside. I walk over to the kitchen with Haruna following close behind. We begin cooking and I think about asking her about Harue. He didn't seem to excited for Christmas like other kids would've been. I wanted to ask Haruna about him.

I finally bring myself to ask. "I've noticed Harue isn't too excited."

"Well it's his first year without his parents."

"Oh..." Thats right, Haruna did tell me about Harue's dead mother, Hanae. I had almost forgotten that he wouldn't have the chance to spend this time of the year with her. I think back on my own mother's death. When she died two years ago, I was more than a little depressed. Mainly because she was my only family.

The family that in an instant, fell apart.

I then catch on to Haruna's words. 'Parents'?

"Did that mean that Harue's father also die?"

I didn't realize I had blurted that out. By the time I want to take it back Haruna is already answering my question.

"...All I know is that he left Harue at the orphanage and then disappeared." She finishes.

Abandoned huh.

"I guess that makes two of us."

Her face looks solemn as she struggles to find something to say.

"I don't know what to say...sorry to hear that..."

"You don't have to apologize...I guess I just wanted you to know?" I say confused myself as too why I told her. I guess I felt that I could trust her fully now.

"Thanks for telling me?" She cracks a smile.

"I guess you're welcome." I answer her, amused by our responses. At this point we laughed the tense atmosphere off.

I began thinking back to the first time I met Haruna. I really don't know too much about her. All I know is that her ex dumped her or something...according to that one incident with Ondera. Speaking of Ondera, I still don't know what the hell she did to make Haruna so mad. I wanted to ask about everything that went down that day, but for now I wanted to know more about Haruna herself. I want to know a least a little of her past, or at least how she got here.

"Why don't you tell me about yourself....Can you tell me about the Ondera incident?

"Which part?"

"If you don't mind me asking, your past maybe?"

She smiled and looked down at the pot she was cooking in. Haruna stirred it as she spoke.

She tells me almost everything.

From her sister, to her fiancé and parents.

It looks like Hanae's death was more than one casualty.

"You're the springtime, pleasant yet fleeting."

Those words must have hit hard. After all, her name did have the word 'spring' in it. She must be still holding onto those words, if she can remember them by heart.