35 - What Was

-----------------Takes place after : 34 - Letting Go-------------------
--The previous two chapters where april fools and if you will; alternative endings--

I let go of his hands and look down. "If you don't want to. We don't have to be family..."

"....Sorry." I apologize for some reason. Was I forcing myself on him? That can't be he's the one who made me promise. "You... shouldn't have made me believe that we were like family in the first place!"

I turn my back towards him and try to hold my tears back in on my way back to my classroom.

Of course, on my way back the hallways are completely empty and when I get to my classroom, my students are all there.

I step in and turn over to the clock on the wall. I was ten minutes late.

"Sensei?" One of the students calls me. "Are you okay?"

"I..."

I struggle to keep my voice in tact and my face clear of any waterworks.

Instead, I smile at my students. "I'm fine, thank you."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bell rings and I gather my stuff to leave. When I get to the gate, I stand in my usual waiting spot.

Wait.

Who am I waiting for?

Why am I...

I begin walking away from the gates, going to pick up Harue.

I pick him up and he notices my sour mood.

"Oba? You're really quiet today."

"...Yeah." I chuckle. "I tried talking to Yamato."

"I kind of guessed." He shrugged, still holding my hand. "So...you didn't make up?"

"Well...no." I sigh. "In fact, I think we might have grown farther apart-"

"Haruna?" I hear my name being called by a gentle male voice.

I look up, It was Haruka.

"Haruka..."

He quickly walks up to me and smiles. "I'm glad I got to see you again so soon."

"Ah. I..." I didn't know how to react to his little comment. Honestly, it was kind of making me uncomfortable.

I didn't really have the energy to hear anyone else but Harue right now.

"Are you alright Haruna?" Haruka sounds worried as he reaches for my face. I instinctively pull back.

"Har-"

"I'm sorry..." I apologized.

"But-"

"I'm...sorry."

"Haruna..."His voice softens even more. "You're crying..."

What?

I feel my cheeks, and sure enough, they were slightly moist.

This time Haruka cups my face in his hand and touches my left arm. He gazes at me for a moment before pulling me into a soft embrace.

"H-Haruka-" I start choking up.

"Let me be the shoulder you cry on this time."

"Oba..." Harue says my name with a gloomy tone, strengthening his grip on my hand.

Why?

You're supposed to let go Haruna!

What's wrong with you?

Are you really just going to cry about it?

I mentally beat myself up. I honestly just didn't care anymore.

"He made you cry, didn't he?"

"I-"

"And so what if I did?"

"Yamato!" Harue's voice turns to Yamato.

"Haruka. Your interest in Haruna isn't genuine, isn't it?" Yamato asks his tone sounded irritated.

Haruka pulls away from me and steps towards Yamato. "What makes you say that?" His face went serious.

"Just what interests you about Haruna so much?"

Haruka scowls in an instant. He probably felt like he was being attacked or something.

"Yamato, I don't know what got to you, for you to start interrogating me this way."

"Answer me, Utsunomiya."

"She...." His eyes wander until they land on me. "She's just kind, and simple. I love her gentle face, and her bright smile..."

Yamato scoffed at Haruka's answer. "Is that what you liked about Hanae too?"

Haruka's face went blank and nobody said anything.

Hanae?

Why would he bring her up?

"..."

"Utsunomiya. Answer me honestly. You and Hanae...."

"No."

Yamato is interrupted by Haruka's quick denial. He starts to look solemn as he stays quiet for a moment before speaking up.

"It was only me...Hanae...I-" he looks away. "I was never able to tell Hanae...."

"You knew...Hanae?" I ask Haruka, clearly surprised.

"Yes. She...used to be an ikebana student of mine."

Yamato seemed to be phased by the information at all. "You didn't just think of her as a student did you?"

Haruka seemed to choose his words carefully. Either than or he was going through memories, reliving the moment, in which he knew Hanae.

Just what was Hanae to Utsunomiya?

A/N: I was itching to publish this and holy it took me so long because of school x.x. Sorry for the slight delay.

So you won't be getting a chapter in the next two days because I have some other stuff to take care of, but most likely you will be getting one during the week before Thursday or Friday. Until then please look forward to it!

Thanks for reading <3 and don't forget to vote and comment :3