29 - Flustered, Confused

We were going home after leaving the Utsunomiya's. The sun was setting and the three of us walked to the train station.

"How was class Haru?" Yamato asks Harue. Haru looks really pumped up about ikebana classes.

"It was really interesting. Today we learned about perspective." He smiles.

"That's a big word." I comment.

"Yeah, you're getting smarter than us Harue."

He laughs happily and holds on to our hands.

Haru skipped while he hummed an anime theme song.

"So..." Yamato starts talking.

"Hm?"

"What were you and Utsunomiya talking about back there?"

"Oh um..." Oh yeah he just asked me out on a freaking date that's what. I couldn't really say that but well...

"We talked about Harue...and he..." I fidgeted with a strand of my hair.

"He?"

"He asked me out on a date..."

"W-what?" He stops abruptly and Harue and I walk ahead hand in hand. We stop and look back at a shocked Yamato.

"Are you okay Yamato?" Harue asks tilting his head adorably.

"Y-yeah." He clears his throat and continues walking. "B-but isn't that sudden? Where did you meet him? When?"

I'm a little surprised at his sudden interrogation.

"Um well...I met him at the Ikebana exhibit..."

"Oh..."

"Yeah..."

It suddenly becomes silent. It's been awhile since he's been so quiet so I ask him if he's okay.

"W-well.."

I stare at him waiting for an answer.

"I..."

"Oba! We're at the train station!"

The announcer says something through the speakers and Yamato just looks down, without finishing his sentence.
---------------

-Next Day (Wednesday)-

Yamato and I eat lunch together as usual. This time, he seems a little off though. Usually he spends his time teasing me or something.

"Hey you've been acting weird since yesterday." I bring up pointing my chopsticks at him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong." He brings his chopsticks down to his bento box but then stops short.

He then looks at me as I put a piece of food in my mouth. He laughs and then grabs a piece of my chicken.

"H-hey!"

"You let your guard down!" He grins and stand from his seat.

I pout and stand too. "Yamato! This isn't the first you steal my food! I won't let you anymore!"

"Really? Catch me." He eats my food and throws me a challenging smirk.

I take him up on it and chase him around the classroom without running.

I grab his shoulder and he turns and his grip lands on my right hand.

"Hey now." He chuckles. "I didn't know you were so serious about food."

I feel my face burn. He was right, what was I doing? I was chasing him for a piece of food like a kid or something.

I look down and cover my face with my other arm. "What am I doing..?